Skip to main content

Happy Valentimes

This is the front of a postcard my grandfather sent to my grandmother before they were married, sometime before 1920. He never mailed it, so either he handed it to her or had it delivered outside of mail service.

His message: Dear Ola, You will be some what surprised to get a card from me. I must beg you to excuse me Sunday. I had a hearing from home and I am crazy to go home.

I have often wondered about this message. Knowing what I know about the Methodist church services in those days and how they lasted all day with dinner on the ground between morning and evening sermons and singing, I suspect my grandmother-to-be had invited my grandfather-to-be to spend Sunday with her family, and he wasn't able to make it because he was homesick for his own family. I wonder where he was that called him away, given that he was not in the military or at least not overseas. Regardless, she was patient, and he eventually joined her. They spent every Sunday together until she died in 1974. Here is the link to a photo of them from a previous post. Scroll down, because no, Wilford Brimley is not my grandfather.

Comments

Wilford Brimley... poor bugger does all those commercials about diabetes now.
Anonymous said…
mommy. i'm in college and i have a snow day! this means sleeping in, no classes, no quizzes... and building snowmen with ellen and claire!

tell prince michael i snort in his general direction.
dive said…
I was going to get all mushy about how much more romantic things were back then, but diabetes ads and snorting daughters (hey, what a great name for a band) have taken the edge off the romance just a bit.
Sassy Sundry said…
That is a lovely card, Robyn. Makes me ashamed of my conversation hearts.

We have some love letters my grandfather sent my grandmother. He was quite the man for romance. It's really sweet to read them.
Scout said…
Rich, I used to think he was so charming, but the commercials lowered my esteem.

#1, yea for snow days and snow men and big red Os! Prince Michael snorts back in your general direction.

Dive, I never thought my grandparents were even remotely romantic, but by the time I knew them they were old and tired. Diabetes ran wreck a lot of things.

Sassy, I don't have any other notes from him except for the letter he scrawled when I graduated from high school. It was difficult for him to write, and I have saved it as a treasure.
Tis a treasure indeed, Robyn. Beautiful. Hi No. 1. Enjoy your time off!
Alifan said…
When we had to clear my Mum and Dad's house after they passed away, we found so many gorgeous cards they had sent to each other..... I felt really sad because I did not know how they felt about each other even after they had been married for nearly 70 years...they did not seem the hearts and flowers type...

But my sister in law has kept them and put them in an album for the next generation to look at.... (not Dive then as he does not like valentine)he will have a job when he has to clear my things, as I have so many cards that I have kept!!!!but at least I hope he knows how much his Dad and I loved one another..
Scout said…
Alifan, the thought of having to go through my mother's things is a bit more than I can stand. Dive's veneer fades a little when he writes about how much you and his father loved each other, so I believe he knows. Thanks for this note--it's lovely.

And Hi, Lynn.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...