Skip to main content

Happy Birthday

...to Norman Rockwell. While some might consider his Boy Scout and Saturday Evening Post covers corny, he was capable of pulling out a single moment in everyday life and freezing it beautifully. He and his two wives suffered from severe depression, but he was determined to show the better side of life.

Interesting fact: (from Wikipedia)

During the First World War, he tried to enlist into the U.S. Navy but was refused entry because, at 6 feet (1.83 m) tall and 140 pounds (64 kg), he was eight pounds underweight. To compensate, he spent one night gorging himself on bananas, liquids and donuts, and weighed enough to enlist the next day. However, he was given the role of a military artist and did not see any action during his tour of duty.


Comments

dive said…
Happy Birthday, Norm!

I'm a great fan of Rockwell's work. I've got a fabulous book of his stuff (one of those annoyingly large art gallery books that don't fit on regular shelves).
Sure, he's downhome and corny, but his paintings were the stuff of my childhood, so I love 'em.

Nice reminder, Robyn.
Nice tribute Robyn, to an era gone by. An American Icon for sure
Ame said…
Love Rockwell...he's an institution! STAY WARM ROBYN!

Post pix when ya can!
;)
Ms Mac said…
Yeah, I'm capable of putting on 8lbs overnight without even trying. Beat that Norm!

Oh and Happy Birthday too.
Old Knudsen said…
I like his stuff, I wonder why you have to be fit and healthy and the right weight to go off and die fer yer cuntry.
Sassy Sundry said…
I'm not a big fan of Norman Rockwell, but I do like a few of his paintings.
Sassy Sundry said…
Oh, and I could have given him weight-gaining advice.
Hmm no good ever comes from eating doughnuts.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...