Skip to main content

The Day After

It's not Italy Day anymore, it's just plain old Sunday with groceries to buy and cobwebs to sweep, and a tennis lesson for Daughter #2 while I sit and read in the waiting area for an hour wishing they'd turn on the blasted heat.

But last night's Eyetalian concert was a delight. The first half was The Fountains of Rome, and it went smoothly. Pictures of the fountains (I think three of the four still remain) were projected on a side wall for the audience.

The second half was a collection of pieces performed with a chorus made up of local people. Some of them were quite old, and the very aged woman standing beside the horn section had to sit during one song, with her eyes watering and her hands shaking. I was concerned, but she snapped out of it and went on. O Mio Babbino was so sorrowfully lovely, the audience demanded an encore, so we performed it twice. I only had one note in that piece--two actually, tied whole notes--but the soloist was really a treat.

We finished with the finale to act two of Aida, and the trumpets (#2 included) stood on a landing off to the side and sounded great. Some of our concerts seem to land flat--our audience isn't as backwoods as some like to mock them for being--they are actually learned and well-traveled people--but they seem to like pop concerts more than more serious performances. Last night's display had just enough flash and amusement to lead them to stand for us all at the end. It was a success.

On the last line of the last stupid song, I played in a rest, and I wanted to kick my stand over onto the floor. But I may have been the only one who heard it, and if that my was worst mistake (that and faking the triplets in Figaro), then I would count it a personal success as well.

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee, Robyn!
The idea of you throwing a paddy at a mistimed note and turning into Keith Moon will have me chuckling for ages.
It's hard to think of the Trevi Fountain without the image of Anita Ekberg romping in it in Fellini's La Dolce Vita. I trust that was NOT one of the pictures projected on the wall during your performance!
O Mio Babbino Caro always leaves me in tears. Puccini's good at that. (I cannot sit through Butterfly without a box of tissues).
And Aida is wonderful. I wish I could have been there.
Bravo for the standing ovation. Sounds like a great night.
I shouldn't think anyone noticed Robyn, it's so often the case that we think of something as a huge glaring mistake just is not known to others. I bet it was fab. They'd have noticed you kicking for sure, so i'm glad you didn't!
Scout said…
Lynn, I don't think anyone else heard my stupid misplaced quarter note, but I know I hit it. Oh well. Next time will be better.

Dive and Rich, it's great that you both said "bravo"--our conductor gives pre-concert chats with every concert, and on Saturday he coached the audience on the use of the word "bravo." So they used it freely after each piece we performed. It was all very festive.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...