Skip to main content

Tragedy Repeats Itself

A few days ago, our town experienced a very upsetting fatal accident. I say "our town" even though I realize that corporately we can not experience it to the extent the family of those who died are suffering. But we are all disturbed.

A 16 year old girl was driving with her 89 year old grandmother as a passenger. We had had a spell of bad weather, and they hit an icy spot on the road. The girl lost control of the car, crashed through a guard rail, and drove straight through into the river. A moderately sized river snakes through our community, and in many spots it isn't more than a few feet deep. But we have had some crazy rains lately, and on Sunday the river was swollen and flowing quickly. There were a lot of witnesses, and some even jumped into the cold water to help them escape the car, but there was nothing they could do.

So, on Saturday, a family will bury their only child and their mother. The funeral will be at the Catholic church, and some of the girl's friends will perform at the ceremony. Kids have set up a Face Book page in honor of the girl, and it is all so sad.

I will not attempt to make this about me. I don't even know the family. But the girl shared my own 16-year-old daughter's birthday, and that single fact causes me to suck back a few tears. I also can't help but remember back to my own childhood when my 16-year-old friend died in a car accident, and her funeral was held at the Catholic church, and my high school orchestra performed at the service.

I would prefer these circumstance not be repeated generation to generation. But tragedies happen on this planet, and all we can do corporately is sympathize and weep and treasure our own families that much more.

Comments

Terrible story, Robyn. My sympathies to that family. Really.
How come a 16 year old was driving, can i ask? It's 17 in the UK. I'm not implying it was her fault of course i'm just curious.
They say there's a reason for everything but i'm struggling to find one, here. Sad, very sad.
Scout said…
16 is the legal age in Ohio. Both of my girls have put it off for a year. I think 16 is a bit young, although I don't blame this on the girl either. The roads were bad, and sometimes there is just nothing you can do when you hit a patch of ice.
dive said…
We were talking about this on email and it reminded me of something, Robyn.

A song by The Handsome Family. Renee Sparks' lyrics about a very similar accident and how detached one can get around tragedies.

Here are the words:
The Snow White Diner

I am sitting eating hashbrowns in the Snow White Diner.
Outside, cars are honking.
Flashing lights on the bridge.
They’re pulling a car up from the bottom of the frozen lake.
A woman drove her Saturn into the black water.
Killed herself and her two kids strapped in the back seat.
She’d lost her job and didn’t want the kids to be poor.
The diner is noisy.
Black coffee and sugar.
Baskets of dinner rolls.
Outside, the crowd is growing,
Waiting by the drawbridge, hoping to see the dead woman’s face.
In the booth next to me, there are two old women eating liver and onions.
They’re laughing too loud and banging the tabletop, but then I see that they’re deaf.
I don’t know why they’re laughing.
Maybe the world’s much nicer if you can’t hear the cars.
They make me feel better, like I’m drunk on a plane and have forgotten I’m afraid to fly.
Scout said…
"Maybe the world’s much nicer if you can’t hear the cars." A fascinating line. "Maybe the world's much nicer if you can't _______." We could fill in the blank with a lot of things, I guess.
dive said…
Hmm … Too many to mention, I think.
Sassy Sundry said…
Ouch. That's horrible. One of my schoolmates died in a horrible accident when I was in high school. It was horrible.

Lynn, aside from a few permit rules, sixteen is the legal driving age in the US.
it does make you want put your arms around your kids and loved one's and not let go. I feel we live in such a disposable society that things like this happen now and we forget much too soon.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Ish People

Tell an Ish person to show up around 9 a.m., and you'll see them somewhere around 9 a.m. Tell them to show up at 9ish, and you'll see them anywhere from 9:05 to 9:20. You have given them license to dilly dally, and who wouldn't take advantage of that? The other night at the big shindig dinner party, one of the drummers said the rehearsal the next morning would begin at 9ish. "I am an ish person," he says. Immediately the clanker goes off in my head--oh, good, I thought. I can deliver my daughter a little late. No Ish person is early, so if you say 9ish, that does not mean give or take 5, 10, 15 minutes. It's exclusively a taking phrase. Take an extra 10 minutes to drink your cup of coffee. We won't mind. We're Ish people. Sunday's rehearsal started at 2:00. Because it was conducted by the same people who conducted the Saturday rehearsal, my understanding was 2-ISH. My daughter is worse than I am about taking liberties with Ish time frames, so she d...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...