In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...
Comments
Speaking of ass, are we all going to make a list of words we can't say at Christmas this year?
It's lovely to hear your voice at last; I can even hear you smile!
My stupid village broadband means I can only listen to the first couple of sentences, but I'll listen to all of it on monday at work.
I'm now off to party for the Revolution but I'll try listening again when I get home; the connection is usually better after midnight.
As for my accent. Imagine a slightly less plummy Stephen Fry.
I don't know what plummy means, so you'll have to post your own blurb, Dive.
Just so y'know.
:)
I wish I could do this, but I don't think I have a microphone with the laptop. Besides I was also out until almost three this morning, and the voice is sounding a little groggy.
A friend and I were discussing that hearing someone's voice often personalises someone far more than a picture ever can.
Ms Mac, it does a little nerve, but I figured I didn't really care. And it adds a new dimension to a world that is a little artificial sometimes.
I've been playing catch up reading your blog as this time of year there isn't enough time in the day for me.
So you don't like nipple rings either I bet eh???
I enjoyed listening to your voice and I thought you must be quite young otherwise you couldn't imagine you don't have an accent of some sort.
This is exactly what I used to think about my own voice, a long time ago! I speak BBC English so I was sure that was THE only way to speak properly and that everyone else had an accent.
Your 'accent' must be what one mostly hears on the radio in America. Once I get hold of a microphone I'm looking forward to taping my Home Counties English accent.
When you record your BBC self, give me a buzz so I will know where to find you.
Hello again, robyn
I wanted to do this a second time but every time I try the whole thing gets jumbled, like at the end of this one. It's a bit quiet too, never mind!
There are people who think of southern accents as low, but that's not true really. It's just that there are quite a lot of rough types with bad grammar in the south who give the place a bad name. How's that for being a snob?