Skip to main content

Santa Cookies

I just got back from playing Santa. By that I mean I drove to the houses of several friends, knowing they would not be home (except for one who had to help me out with a spare key because I had locked myself out of the house). Anyway, I drove to their houses and left gifts on their porches. Each friend got a little bag with two homemade biscotti and either coffee, tea, chai, or hot chocolate, depending on their tastes.

I like to give my friends little gifts, just enough to show them I value their friendship but not enough to make them feel bad, because really, we don't exchange gifts. I thought cookies and something nice to dunk them in was a fair choice.

Here is the biscotti recipes I used.

Bittersweet Chocolate almond Biscotti

3 c. flour, plus more for dusting
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 large eggs
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup slivered, blanched almonds

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside.

With an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and 1 cup sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and 3 of the eggs, one at a time until combined. Reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until each addition is fully incorporated. Stir in the chocolate and almonds.

Divide dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll and pat each half into a rectangle approx. 3 x 16 inches, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg lightly. Brush the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 25 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes and remove from sheet to cutting board. Using a bread knife, slice crosswise on the diagonal into 3/4 inch slices. Return to baking sheet cut side down. Bake until the biscotti begins to brown around the edges, about 10-12 minutes more. Cool on wire racks.

Note: after they cool, I like to drizzle them with melted white chocolate. Since white chocolate is not always cooperative, it helps to add some heavy cream in the melting process.

Comments

dive said…
I thought MY neighbours were lovely, Robyn, but that's just brilliant.

And much as I'd love to make those biscotti, I know just what would happen. It would all get eaten before it got to the oven and then I'd be very (and deservedly) ill …
Sassy Sundry said…
Aren't you sweet? Yummy. I'm with Dive, though. I'd eat the batter.

For a minute, I thought that you dressed up like Santa. I was having a hard time picturing a bearded Robyn.
Scout said…
Ewe. Raw cookied dough! I'd rather eat the cooked version. I have to keep dough away from my family sometimes--I don't get the appeal.

Raw brownie batter, on the other hand.........
Sassy Sundry said…
Cookie dough is yummy. Mmmmmm....
Alifan said…
Thanks robyn I will try your recipe out, love your posts....

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...