Skip to main content

New Year's Eve

During lunch, my family was reminiscing about a fanciful New Year's Eve we experienced a few years ago--we took a Caribbean cruise on a Disney ship, which I thought would be elbow to elbow in sticky, noisy kids but was actually delightful and clean. For the big shindig, we stood on a balcony that overlooked many other balconies, sipping champagne and flinging confetti on the people below. One long strand of confetti landed smack on the lap of a woman in a wheel chair--she had no arms or legs and was attended to by a nurse/companion. I noticed the two of them earlier on the ship and found her delight in her vacation remarkable.

We joked about hitting the woman with just a torso, but she was an inspiration.

This year, we will be spending the evening on a quieter note. We are holed up at the lake house with a stack of movies and checkers and cards, and we will enjoy a three-hour meal one course at a time. Here's the run down (note: I can't claim they will be exquisite, but I'll do my best:

Curried Scallop Cakes
Camembert Walnut Pastries
Spinach, Artichoke, and Bacon Dip with Pita Chips
Spinach, Dried Cherry, and Blue Cheese Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Baked Stuffed Lobster Tails
Green Beans with Carmalized Shallots
Tiramisu with Brandy Custard
Champagne

If any of these dishes proves worthy, I will post the recipes tomorrow. Happy New Year to all!

Comments

dive said…
Tarnation! I'm hungry again now!

Robyn, that sounds delicious, and a splendid way to bring in the new year.

Here's wishing you and the family a throroughly excellent and ludicrously enjoyable 2007.
Happy New Year!
Old Knudsen said…
As usual food dishes mean nothing to me without chips.


fat french fries, not crisps.
so do have a personal chef to serve up up all those delightful dishes?
Scout said…
Rich: me, I'm the personal chef.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

Happy Birthday...

to me! Update: Since you have asked, I only got one actual packaged gift, a beautiful hand-made bracelet from a friend, but both girls were home for the weekend, and we had dinner at the lake and a relaxing weekend. Thanks to all of you for your lovely wishes!

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...