Skip to main content

Christmas Concert Review

This won't really be a review of my orchestra's Christmas concert, just a run down. We performed the traditional concert Saturday night. I say "traditional" because our orchestra has been in existence for 71 years, and we have included a children's chorus for quite a few of those. And over the last ten or so years, the kids have sung songs that are expected. The one we perform every single year is "Marvelous Toy" by Tom Paxton. It's pretty cute, I have to say, although the horn part is the most boring thing--nothing but two solid pages of off beats. Not even a hint of melody. You could sneeze into your horn, and nobody would know the difference. As an aside, sneezing into your horn actually makes an interesting sound. So does laughing into it, which I did once right before the down beat to Sleigh Ride because the 3rd horn guy said something very funny just as we all took our first breath.

Anyway, back to the concert. The first half was a hodge-podge of pieces because this concert season has a general theme of cities around the world. So, we opened with a medley of Christmas songs from around the world and then followed with Russian Christmas Music by Alfred Reed. It was originally a band piece, which means it has lots of loud brass parts, but it has since been orchestrated. There was a bit of a 2nd horn solo, which was a surprise but still very fun. We also got to perform Mel Torme's The Christmas Song.

During the intermission, a local pharmacy provides cookies and punch in the lobby, which the orchestra avoids because it's never good to blow cookies through your horn. A word about this pharmacy: it's owned by a man who has become some what of a celebrity. He' s a very funny guy with an eye for the spot light who is known for wearing funky hats in public. I'm not talking about fedoras or sombreros. I'm talking about chickens and Uncle Sam hats and beanies with propellers. This year, he appeared in a jester's suit.

For the second half, we were joined by a 180-voice children's choir. They always provide plenty of material, meaning the horn section sits in the back and makes fun of the boys with the untucked shirts, the fidgety kids, the sweaty kids, the kids who don't know the words. We wonder which one will have to leave the stage because he's about to puke, and we make sure we're well out of his path. This year, not one had to be excused.

The whole thing ended with a full-audience sing-along of well-known carols and a visit from a bad-joke-making Santa. If that doesn't warm the heart of any curmudgeon (and you know who you are)...

Comments

dive said…
Sneezing and laughing through a French horn sounds really funny. And I think the phrase "it's never good to blow cookies through your horn" will keep the Grinch away for quite a while. Hee hee …

This sounds like a wonderful concert, Robyn. I only wish I could have been there (although I'm not sure I'd trust punch made by a pharmacist).
And Marvellous Toy was one of my all time favourite songs when I was a kid. I'd love to have heard you play it.
Scout said…
Dive, our conductor really does love the spot light, and he sings Marvelous Toy with the motions. Every year, one of the kids gets to stand on the podium and do the motions with him.I know there are orchestra members who scoff at it, but the crowd loves it. It's always good to have a crowd pleaser.
dive said…
It's a brilliant tradition, Robyn.
Sniffy orchestra members are there to be ridiculed. Music is joy!
hmm I'd watch out for a guy wearing a hat with a prop on it especially when he's filling my scrips.

Sounds like a good time.. old fashioned F U N
Utsav said…
Hehehe.. I'd love to hear those effects on the horn! And I must congratulate you on the fantastic job you've done of de-Grinching Dive- I'd never imagined it possible!
CMC said…
Oh, the children's choir. I always remember them from when my husband performed with the symphony. We'd have a good chuckle at the end of the show.
Sassy Sundry said…
Yes, cookies and horns are not to be mixed.

The pharmacist sounds great. Why are we moving to all these chains when there are great people like this in the world?

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.