Skip to main content

We're from "Jonkers"

Old Knudsen has suggested we write about some of our choice Christmas experiences--I've already done that.

So instead, I will tell you all about a memorable Thanksgiving. My husband and I had been married about five months and were living in New Jersey. We couldn't afford a trip back to the Midwest where the rest of our family would be celebrating, so we decided to stay put.

We knew a woman who was exceptionally generous, sometimes just because she wanted something and sometimes just because. She tended to collect strays, you could say, and assembled this bunch for Thanksgiving dinner like I have never seen. I hadn't learned to cook yet, so I was given the job of potato pealing.

There we were, two very young newlyweds; the woman and her four children; her Italian-emigrant mother who had the typical Italian/NJ accent; a newly divorced and very fractured woman with her three little children; two Cuban emigrants, a sister who had escaped Cuba via Paris and later retrieved her brother (the brother was wheel-chair bound); a one-legged Jewish woman who was also wheelchair bound (I loved her dearly!); and a clothing designer for JC Penney who was experiencing the most distinctive and thorough midlife crisis, one so counter to his character that his wife did not attend the dinner. He brought his adult daughter who was mildly retarded.

We all sat around this gigantic table made up of smaller tables lined up end to end, and we passed the roast beast. It was the most amazing group of people all in one room--everybody with their flaws out there for all to see. We sat there for hours chattering about this and that--me trying to have a conversation with the clothing designer who wanted to talk about a fantasy involving a chocolate cake and a bathtub, the divorced woman trying to hold it together, the Italian trying to understand the Cubans--The Italian would say, "where are you from?" And the Cubans would say, "We're from Jonkers?" "From where?" "Jonkers." "What are you saying?" "Mother, they're from Yonkers."

It went on and on, and it was the most lovely and memorable Thanksgiving I believe I will ever experience. Thanksgiving is a day when we purposefully express thankfulness for provision and relative bounty. As much as I appreciate spending it with family, enjoying this particular meal with a mixed up group of people you normally wouldn't have the chance to sit down with made so much sense.

It made as much sense as pilgrims, who risked everything to travel an entire ocean to find freedom, sitting at a table with a group of natives who helped them survive their first winter.

Comments

dive said…
Wow, Robyn.
You made me grin all the way through that post, and then tied it up perfectly at the end.
And what a group of characters! You've got your next novel right there.
Scout said…
I hadn't thought of this as the basis of a novel. It happened so long ago, I'd have to embellish quite a bit, the memory being a bit faded. Maybe that's a good thing.

I hate novels/movies when the characters and settings are so exaggerated--I'd have to watch out for that. Hmmm. the creative wheels are churning..........
dive said…
Perhaps a sitcom then …
Sassy Sundry said…
I was just thinking that you had a novel there too, Robyn. Jonkers, the long lost city.
Ms Mac said…
I left a good American friend behind in Australia (that's Australia for you) who used to celebrate Thanksgiving with us, her international coterie of mates and hangers on. I used to love celebrating Thanksgiving with her. The table was always huge and groaned under the weight of all the food and the company always exquisite. Good times!

I just wanted to share is all.
every couples of years I take my family to Maine for Thanksgiving. We stay at the Same guest house and have dinner with other folks from different places. Some are from New England and some may be from overseas. It's very unique to spend thanksgiving this way. I enjoyed your story
Scout said…
Ms Mac, thanks for sharing your story. Thanksgiving has turned into a big fat football day, but for most of us, it's still a time to real thanksgiving, even for people who know know who they're thanking.

Rich, what a great idea. So these people are strangers? How fun. Will you do go there this year?

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...