Skip to main content

Movie Review of the Week

Say it! Say it! Say "I lost the nest-egg." Go on, say it!

Albert Brooks wrote, directed, and starred in Lost In America, an often overlooked comedy that also stars Julie Haggerty.

It's the story of an advertising executive who does not get the promotion he believes he has been groomed for and is sure he deserves. He is so disillusioned that he quits his job completely and convinces his wife to quit her job as well. They sell their home and all of their possessions, buy a Winnebago, and set out to explore America--free spirits, no ties, no worries. They have a nest egg.

Their first stop is Las Vegas where they plan to renew their vows, but during their first night, Julie Haggerty's character discovers the intoxicating lure of gambling. While under its spell, she loses the nest egg, all but a few hundred dollars anyway. So, there they are--no home, no jobs, no free spirit. Brooks delivers his best ad-agency sales pitch for the casino owner to convince him to return the money, like offering a mulligan and making his place The Casino with a Heart. The pitch fails, of course, and they are forced to leave Las Vegas with the Winnebago as their only home.

Brooks gets a job as a crossing guard, and Haggerty works at a fast-food counter with a teenage boy as her manager. This could go a dozen different way. They could make a life in the desert living on less but discovering more. They could wander the country as the easy riders of the RV set. But instead, they decide they can't live on less. Brooks envies the cars with leather interior that he directs through traffic, and Haggerty hates the fry vat. Finally Brooks, as he puts it, "eats shit" and gets his old job back, agreeing to move to Manhattan to do it.

What's the message here? I'm assuming there is one. I think it's that life is easier with money than without, especially once you've had some. I think it's that if you're restless on the outside and unhappy with your outward circumstances like your job and house and car, then maybe it's because you're restless on the inside. And changing those outward things is just geography. I think that when pride guides your decision making, then you'll end up making bad decisions and wishing you had thought with more humility.

Or maybe the message is as simple as the comic timing and the grousing and the exasperating whining that Albert Brooks has mastered. Lost In America is funny.

Comments

dive said…
That's a new one on me, Robyn.
I only know Julie Haggerty from Airplane. I don't think I could watch her in anything else without thinking of the autopilot scene …
Scout said…
It has a small following. Julie Hagerty (I have been spelling her name with too many Gs) lives somewhere in Ohio. The way she tells it, she lives a normal Ohio life until somebody calls and asks if she wants to do a movie.
Sassy Sundry said…
I haven't seen this one. Will add it to the list.
Anonymous said…
ahem POST MY STORY. thanks bye.
Gina said…
I like Albert Brooks. I was rooting for him in the one with William Hurt and Holly Hunter. The name of it escapes me at the moment.
Scout said…
Gina, he was in Broadcast News, and I rooted for him too.
Old Knudsen said…
This film leaves a bad taste in my mouth, a throughly unlikeable couple that I don't mind being lost.
Scout said…
Fake Knudson, I'm sorry you aren't a fan. Actually, I guess I'm not really sorry because I don't care all that much--those two can be pretty annoying, but that's part of the appeal. If I had to have dinner with them, I'd probably hate them.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...