Skip to main content

Movie Review of the Week

Cool Hand Luke (1967) is the story of Luke Jackson (Paul Newman), a man with no apparent direction in life and no apparent ambition. He's just settling an old score. After a stint in the US Army in which he was promoted and honored with various medals but then demoted so that he left with the same stripe he went in with, he got drunk, broke the heads off of parking meters, and was sent to a work prison in Florida.

This prison is run by Captain, an overseer of sorts played by Strother Martin. More people than I can count have tried imitating Martin in delivering one of the greatest lines in American film history--"What we have here is a failure to communicate"--but they all fail. No one can deliver that line with the same thin Southern drawl--a hint of evil and a hint of feigned benevolence.

Luke enters this prison as a man just "passin' the time." He may bend to authority when necessary, but he can't be broken. There lies the conflict--in order to keep these men in order, Captain and the Boss have to break them, have to keep them in line. Break one rule, and you spend a night in the box. Luke does what he's told for the time being, all the while planning his escape. Upon his capture, he is forced to dig a ditch over and over again until the authorities perceive that he is sufficiently broken.

Almost from the day he is linked to the chain gang, Luke becomes the hero to the other inmates. He is the cool hand, the one who cannot be broken. He eats 50 eggs. He survives consecutive nights in the box. He escapes and lives it up with beautiful women. When they witness the end of their Cool Hand, and he becomes just another shovel-toting prisoner, they are left without a savior.

There are so many memorable scenes--a visit from Luke's ailing mother, the slutty country girl washing her car in front of the chain gang, Luke's mournful singing of Plastic Jesus when his mother dies, the bloody fight between Luke and Dragline (George Kennedy) that was so painful to watch that near the end you felt every blow, Luke's battle with God who he isn't even sure exists--but none of these makes this a classic.

Why is Cool Hand Luke a true American classic? I think it's because we love our anti-heroes. We love to question authority. And we love to love those who don't want to be loved, those who are just passin' the time and will bend but will not break.

Addition: The green words are links to audio clips, just in case you missed that extra treat.

Comments

dive said…
I love that movie, Robyn.
I've got the poster for it up in my kitchen (and not just because of the eggs).
Scout said…
A poster sounds like something I need to add to my Christmas list. I loanded my DVD to a friend several years ago and haven't seen it since. I'm afraid I'll have to buy another one--or put the DVD on my Christmas list along with the poster.
Sassy Sundry said…
I love that movie too. I need to watch it again. Paul Newman is amazing---in just about everything. Thanks for the suggestion.
one of my true favorites.. when ever i hear dogs barking I think of this movie
Scout said…
Sassy, Paul Newman IS amazing, at least in his younger years. I haven't appreciated his latest old-man films, but then he is an old man, so what can I expect?

I love Long Hot Summer. Good God, he was lovely.

Rich, those dogs were a nice touch of local prison color. Good sound, too--hounds.
Sassy Sundry said…
Butch Cassidy, the Sting, yeah he was dreamy.

I do like him as an old man, though, too. He's doing good in the world with that Newman's Own line.
Scout said…
I had almost forgotten about the Newman's Own line. Great Italian dressing, and cookies.

I think that more than Newman, I love Joanne Woodward. Her in Long Hot Summer and The Three Faces of Eve are remarkable. Oh, and then there's Sybil.
dive said…
Paul Newman was SEXY.
I'm not gay yet (48 years and still trying, fruitlessly [ouch]), but there's no denying the fact.

… and what's wrong with old men, young Robyn?

And even though I make my own dressings, I still have a bottle of Newman's Own in the cupboard because everyone should.
Scout said…
Oh no, Dive, I have nothing against old men--I can't think of several are might be even more attractive than when they were younger. I kind of have a thing for Richard Dryfus. I'm just not wild about the more recent Newman movies.
Sassy Sundry said…
Oh yeah. Definitely. Those eyes are just so blue.
Taihae said…
havent seen a lot of his work, but I will now.
Scout said…
Oh Taihea, you've got so much to look forward to then. Besides Long Hot Summer and Cool Hand Luke, there's Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, The Hustler, Butch Cassidy, The Sting... have fun with it all.
Old Knudsen said…
You mentioned Newman at my place and I hadn't gotten here yet, I said about cool hand luke and salad dressing, I guess thats what comes to mind about him, I also mentioned 'The prize' which I loved, of course all those comments got deleted in a fit of artistic passion but Robyn knows.
Scout said…
Yes, I know. This crazy blogger can do some wild things to comments--screwing up screen names, deleting artistic brilliance... It's a shame.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...