I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...
Comments
That's the second time I've cried in two days. I know I'm getting older but that's one side effect I hadn't expected.
And both times (Nimrod, yesterday) were connected to you and your horn.
You say you cannot vouch for the quality of the writing; well it is wonderful. Not just the raw truth of it, but the way you totally involve the reader in the minutiæ of your everyday life, complete with laughs, and then that awful news hits us almost as shockingly as it must have hit you …
If you play the horn a hundredth as well as you write, you must be a virtuosuo.
I was sad enough about your family life, but then to lose your only real friend.
You write beautifully. That was a long time ago, but I'm really sorry.
Diver, I believe I've heard the Nimrod thing before--I wish I could have heard it live.
I am hardly a virtuoso--in fact, when I left the arts building after my lesson this afternoon, I practially cried, trudging down the sidewalk in a crumpled up heap of insecurity and self-doubt. There's always another chance to not suck, I keep telling myself.
And no self-doubts; every note you play is the best note you have ever played.
And get online and get hold of a copy of Elgar's Enigma Variations. Nimrod is heartbreakingly beautiful (and great for horns).