Skip to main content

A Full Bowl

While I was digging through my Old Stories folder looking for the horn thing, I found this story I wrote about an experience I had in high school. I can't vouch for its quality as it was written over a year ago and possibly under the spell of some bitter reminiscing, but here you go anyway:

A Full Bowl

Comments

dive said…
Oh, Robyn.
That's the second time I've cried in two days. I know I'm getting older but that's one side effect I hadn't expected.
And both times (Nimrod, yesterday) were connected to you and your horn.
You say you cannot vouch for the quality of the writing; well it is wonderful. Not just the raw truth of it, but the way you totally involve the reader in the minutiæ of your everyday life, complete with laughs, and then that awful news hits us almost as shockingly as it must have hit you …
If you play the horn a hundredth as well as you write, you must be a virtuosuo.
Sassy Sundry said…
Oh God, Robyn, that is so sad. You made me cry too.

I was sad enough about your family life, but then to lose your only real friend.

You write beautifully. That was a long time ago, but I'm really sorry.
Scout said…
Thank you, both of you for the kind compliments. Sometimes I'm afraid I get too caught up in detail, not just in writing, but in everyday life. It's an obsessive thing, I guess, like sorting the M&Ms by color before I can eat them. Oh well. We all have our burdens.

Diver, I believe I've heard the Nimrod thing before--I wish I could have heard it live.

I am hardly a virtuoso--in fact, when I left the arts building after my lesson this afternoon, I practially cried, trudging down the sidewalk in a crumpled up heap of insecurity and self-doubt. There's always another chance to not suck, I keep telling myself.
dive said…
We all love detail, Robyn (my entire house is catalogued in alphabetical order; even my librarian friend thinks I'm extreme).

And no self-doubts; every note you play is the best note you have ever played.

And get online and get hold of a copy of Elgar's Enigma Variations. Nimrod is heartbreakingly beautiful (and great for horns).

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...