Skip to main content

Sign Me Up

When George Bailey was a kid and working for Mr. Gower, he strapped on his apron, scooped up some chocolate ice cream for Mary, and at hearing she didn't like coconut, was piqued. He pulled out the latest National Geographic to show her there was a wide world to explore, full of coconut--Tahiti, Fiji, the Coral Sea. Mary had never heard of this "new magazine." George: "Of course you never. Only us explorers can get it. I've been nominated for membership in the National Geographic Society."

Society: a voluntary association of individuals for common ends.

We certainly have formed a lot of those, haven't we? For all of our chest-beating about being independent, masters of our own destiny, we do seem to have a driving need to belong to a larger group. And if we can't find one that is just right, we make one up and call it a society.

There's one for every possible profession--doctors, lawyers, bakers, chemists, teachers, nurses--they've all got societies. There are societies all over the world for people with cancer or MS or bipolar disorders. Any illness you can dream up has a society. Anybody with any kind of vocational interest, like painting or carving or collaging, can join up with other people who paint or carve or collage.

I was a member of the International Horn Society myself for about a year, and it only cost $30. I got a card to carry in my purse, a quarterly publication, and the ability to say, "I'm a member of the International Horn Society." As a friend said, I also got the privilege of being a true horn dork.

People who like to cook with a Dutch oven can join the International Dutch Oven Society. They share recipes, sponsor cooking classes, and host forums. Their motto is, "Good Food, Good Friends, and Good Fun." I've never made anything in a Dutch oven that didn't come out looking like dog food (same is true for the crock pot), so I'm not sure how fun this group would be.

Poets can join the International Society for Dead Poetry. "We say the only good poem is a dead poem, and if they have any life left in them, we bludgeon them to death with an axe." They don't really bludgeon them. They actually promote an appreciation for what they call "dead" poems.

And there is the International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists made up of people who have unearthed "black sheep" in their family tree. The members of IBSSG share recipes, talk about genealogy on a message board, and post their poetry on their website. Here's one:

"Heredity"
By "Grandpa Tucker"

I saw a duck the other day.
It had the feet of my Aunt Faye.
Then it walked, was heading South.
It waddled like my Uncle Ralph....


There is more, but you get the point.

We like to belong--officially. Here is a short list of other societies to fill your take-me-in-and-be-my-friend need:

International Palm Society • International Headache Society • Emily Dickenson International Society • International Society of Organbuilders • International Ghost Hunters Society • International Society for Animal Hygiene • International Society for Asphalt Pavements • International Society for Breath Odor Research • International Society for Bible Collectors • International Joan of Arc Society • Society of International Railway Travelers

My daughter once said that I was the headquarters for the Bad Mother Society for making a sandwich with moldy bread. I didn't want to hold that office, but if I were to start my own societies:

Society for Arachnaphobes • Use Your Turn Signal or Die Society • The International Society for Gray Hair • The Bitter Sweet Chocolate Society • The Society for Strong-and-Black Coffee Drinkers—tag line: the coffee, not necessarily the drinkers • The "George Bailey, I'll love you till the day I die" Society

Comments

Anonymous said…
You said it!!! I belonged to a society relating to my profession and it only cost me $75.00 per year to get a card saying I was a member for that year and a once a year publication with mostly ads in it. Needless to say I gave up my membership and wrote to them about how I felt their organization was useless for ME anyway.

Rich (no longer a card carrying member of any society)
Anonymous said…
hmmm... what about (the abbreviations are horribly hilarious):

buffalo gals won't you come out tonight society (bgwycots)

frankly scarlett, i just don't give a damn society (fsijdgads)

the society for people who just don't have enough bloody time (tsfpwjdhebt)

the international society for annoying pen clickers (tisfapc)

the national night-owl society (tnnos)

the society for hot chocolate drinkers (tsfhcd)

the international blog-addicts society (tibas) [does this one apply to anyone we know?]

the i don't want to work i just want to bang on my drum all day society (tidwtwijwtbomdads)

and finally...

the society for persons who take time away from work to blog-post anonymously (tsfpwttafwtbpa)

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Scout said…
ahem--who are we suggesting is addicted? Drum banging is so satisfying.
Old Knudsen said…
It looks like word verification gone bad up there.

The Society for the prevention of cruelty to Old Knudsen.
Rob7534 said…
I would gladly join the Use Your Turn Signal or Die Society! Excellent :)
Scout said…
Rich, $75 is steep! That's double the IHS fee. Yikes.

Old man, who is so mean to you? And how could they be--you with your cute and adorable demeanor?

Rob7534, I'll print you up a card to carry in your wallet.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...