Skip to main content

She Was Such a Good Girl, and Now Look at Her--All Confused and Drooling

A new study seems to suggest that the main ingredient in pot can act as a barrier to Alzheimer's disease by keeping the neurotransmitters from misfiring. Noone is saying we should all start lighting up but that researchers can use this ingredient or something like it to create a new treatment. I'm all for a new Alzheimer's drug that actually works, unlike what's on the market now, so let's get going. And hurry it up--I'm not getting younger. Neither is my husband, and both of us lost our fathers to the miserable disease.

I never did smoke the marijuana--or pot or weed or whatever the kids are calling it. I did see a joint once, though, when my art class buddy flashed one he was storing in his wallet. We were great friends, whatever his name was, until he ran away to Florida with his pregnant girl friend. I knew her from marching band, and I had to fill in her cymbal spot while she went missing. But still, I never smoked pot myself.

When I think of how I towed the line in school, how I spent my free time playing the piano and the French horn and reading books instead of going to parties--you don't get invited to too many parties when your happiest times are spent reading A Tale of Two Cities all curled up on the sofa with a Reader's Digest recording of Chopin playing on the console--I think that there is a trade off to just about everything. I behaved in school, and now I may grow old to put grapes in the dishwasher because I have forgotten the purpose of the big appliance on the other side of the kitchen. I spent hours working through Claire de Lune back then so that in the future I can stare at myself in the mirror and say, "Who the hell is that?" I'll be flipping light switches on and off for thirty minutes and flushing toilets just to watch the water swirl.

So, get to work on that new improved drug, I don't care if it means you have to inject marijuana directly into a capsule. And I don't care if it means we all have to go underground and hide the little pills in a secret compartment in our wallets so the teacher won't see. The future doesn't look so bright for some of us, and if need be, I'm willing to see what it is I missed in the 10th grade while I was memorizing Moonlight Sonata instead of sitting on the picnic tables at the park with the potheads.

Comments

I have to tell you from personal experience... you really didn't miss much by not hanging in the park smoking weed with me and my friends..

If it's (weed) a cure or even help with Alzheimer's then "bring it on" let them start sparking em up in the nursing homes.

Very ironic... my wife was much like you as a kid.. stayed home studied all the time and look who she ended up with. HAH!!
she told me she has a soft spot for bad boys..
Scout said…
Rich: A bad boy? I wouldn't have guessed :)
Sassy Sundry said…
I can think of people who would fake Alzheimer's for this.
Scout said…
I suppose it would be easier to fake Alzheimer's than glaucoma. Hmm.
Old Knudsen said…
A tale of two cities, should have watched the movie, that book was so boring.
Old Knudsen said…
I've been thinking about this post since I read it,I have 1 female relative has Alzheimer's and another has dementia due to age, the first one had a bloke grab her purse in the street, she of course didn't give it up and he ran off, the shock was too much for her and she went into a decline, it all went downhill from that attack, its hard on her and for her family, but you can't fixate on what 'might' happen in the future, enjoy now and if it happens ah well at least you didn't let fear rule you.
Anonymous said…
Old Knudson, I do the best I can, even read a book on conquering fears because those things can really eat you up.
Anonymous said…
They do have marajuana capsuls that can be used for medicinal purposes. Medical use is limited to very few places though, and even if the state legalizes it you could still be seized by the feds. Marajauna is safest if consumed and actually poses no health risks (and has many benefits) in this form. So why is it that the government won't loosen their grip on this substance do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...