Skip to main content

Remember...umm...what was her name?

I'm stuck on the question of what would I want people to remember me for 200 years from now. (see Jonathan Edwards post below). The usual answers keep popping up, like a beauty queen contestant (I hope for world peace). I hope I'm remembered for being generous, kind, patient, kind of funny, a follower of Jesus. But those things don't get you remembered. Some kid in 2206 won't open his history book and find my biography--Robyn Martins: she was a woman in Ohio who was really nice. She liked to knit hats, and she kept a blog. See section 46B for the definition and history of blogs.

People who accomplish things that we hold in high or low regard are remembered. People who write good novels, are elected president, invent telephones, kill entire villages with an axe--those people make the books.

So, I'm thinking the question should really be "do I expect to be remembered 200 years from now" or "do I even want to be remembered 200 years from now." First answer: I do not expect to be remembered. Second answer: not if I have to kill an entire village with an axe.

I'm not sure it's all that important that I as an individual be remembered. I'd rather be part of a larger group that is studied and hopefully emulated by future generations. I'd rather be part of a humanitarian community, some kind of benevolent club--the Society for People Who Share. Lately, I've been thinking the individual isn't as important as we like to think anyway.

There is a part of me that hopes I do write that good novel that is read by high school students in 2206, even if they don't like it. What do they know, those punk, snotty kids? But I've got decades to do that, hopefully. And maybe I have decades to found that benevolent club, or join one.

So, now I'm thinking that my answer will be different when I'm 80-something than it is when I'm 40-something. Come back in 40 years and ask how I want to be remembered by future generations, and we'll see how my answer changes.

I'd be interested to read your answers. Post 'em, baby.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was wondering if you really wanted me to wait 40 yrs before i post this.. oh well I'll do it now.

This is one woman is has not been forgotten...

Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
And when she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.

-Rich
Scout said…
Rich, I bet if she knew we'd be reciting a poem about her all these years later, she would have thought of another out. Hmm.
Daniel Martins said…
Profound questions, Robyn. The most profound questions there are, actually, because they go straight to our identity, our sense of self, who we are. Stephen Covey, in his classic (I'm sorry...did I just call a book written only 15 years ago a classic? Oh, well...) "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" tells us to "begin with the end in mind," and the exercise he suggests to get the process going is to imagine attending our own funeral: What would we like to be hearing about ourselves? Then live in a way that will lead to that fantasy becoming a fact. But at the risk of sounding too pious, perhaps there's only one whose "memory" of us is worth trying to influence. In the words of the thief on the cross: "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Scout said…
Dan: At the risk of responding piously, it is an interesting exercise to imagine one's funeral, and I believe you may have just come up with an interesting blog exercise, but we'll be dead, so why do we care what people say? Making Jesus' opinion the only one that matters, as you've said.
Ms Mac said…
I have actually already written about my funeral and what people will say of me after I'm gone. Naturally, it's a load of drivel but you can find it here if you like.

I would dearly love to be remembered for having written the greatest novel ever read. It's not very likely to happen so I suppose I'll probably just end up being remembered by the next couple of generation as someone who took far too many photographs and did not enough housework.

Talking of which, must be off.
Scout said…
Ms Mac, they say everyone has one good novel in them, so let's count on that. October is something like novel writing month, which lets me out because I've got other stuff to do, but that doesn't mean that November can't be good for creating a masterpiece.
Anonymous said…
just a quick reminder in the middle of your hectic schedule (and before you move into November full novel ahead)...

in 2206, high school students may very well be reading "books" on tablet computers or holograms. they won't have the feel of the paper beneath their fingers, a strong binding to grip, or the scent of fresh or familiar pages depending on how many times the tome has been cracked open.

rather sad to think about that, but we won't be here then, and as long as we can have all the books we can stand in this age, add your classic to the mix. :) i'll be saving room on my bookshelf for it.

~ a.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...