Skip to main content

Nights Are Forever Without You

Today is the birthday of Jim Seals of Seals and Crofts fame. I normally wouldn't care enough to pass that information on to anyone, except that Jim Seals is the brother of Dan Seals of England Dan and John Ford Coley fame. And that information is noteworthy.

England Dan and John Ford Coley are so long forgotten they don't even have a fan-based website that I could dig up with a google search, but for a couple of passing years in the mid 70s, I was their fan.

Growing up outside of Chicago in the 70s, WLS radio was the only station someone with a hankering for the top 20 could listen to--AM--on a transistor radio hooked to your belt or slung from a wrist band. "Superjock" Larry Lujack played each hit twice an hour, so you could hear Sad to Belong, Where Do I Go from Here, and Nights Are Forever Without You ten times a day at least. (sample them here) After listening to these samples and pairing them with the very unattractive photo on the album cover pictured here, you may ask why a teenage girl would be so attached to these songs and these singers--I have no answer to that. It was the 70s.

One of the best hits to sing along with while riding on a dark, smelly band bus across the midwest was I'd Really Love to See You Tonight:

We could go walkin' through a windy park
take a drive along the beach
or stay home and watch T.V.
you see it really doesn't matter much to me...
*Chorus
I'm not talking 'bout movin' in
and I don't want to change your life
but there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
and I'd really love to see you tonight...


In my freshmen year, WLS joined with Carefree Sugarless Gum to sponsor a contest. The school that turned in the most Carefree gum wrappers, or 3x5 pieces of paper with Carefree Sugarless Gum written on them, would win a free concert with--yes--England Dan and John Ford Coley--to be held in their own school gym. That's big time for any band.

My little school in Indiana went nuts for the challenge. Cheerleaders tore pieces of paper to the correct size and passed them out. Kids sat in study hall writing out Carefree Sugarless Gum until their fingers cramped. Even my pastor's daughter who was not allowed to listen to WLS and would not be allowed to attend the concert scrawled on dozens of 3x5 sheets--Carefree Sugarless Gum.

Then one afternoon while I was sitting in my typing class, the principal broke in on the loud speaker to announce that we had won. Larry Lujack and England Dan and John Ford Coley would be playing in our very own gym. I was so excited--I was not normally allowed to attend concerts for what my father called "that dadblamed rock and roll," but I was pretty sure I could beg for this one since it would be heavily chaperoned, and there would be no pot smoking and no hibbity-jibbity dancing.

At the concert, England Dan and John Ford Coley sang all of their hits from every album they had released up to that point, and Larry Lujack threw WLS T-shirts out to the sweaty mob of teens on the gym floor. What I remember most about Lujack was his apparent disdain for having to be part of this commercial spectacle and the way he talked down to all of us. I was offended at the time, but now that I look back on it, I suppose I might have felt the same way if I were him.

His attitude aside, I got to see my favorite band in person, in my own hometown, in my own school, and it was free.

Turn on the radio
We'll play it way down low
There's a tear in your eye
That's reflecting the fire's glow
And I wish that this night would never end
The sun ain't gonna be my friend

Comments

dive said…
Well, as songs go, it's not a bad one to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
Together with the rest of the world,I'd completely forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder, Robyn.
Sassy Sundry said…
That is a scary, scary album cover.
Sassy Sundry said…
Oh, and thanks for the lyrics. I had no idea what they were saying when I was a kid singing along in the grocery store.
all I can say is ... Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah..... hahahahhahahahahahaha
Scout said…
Scary cover, scary sound, scary years all around.

Rich, the laughing--is that good or bad? :)
It's just hilarious!!! the album cover and the lyrics and the mustaches... i don't know, maybe i want to cry instead. Ha ha ha!!

I know for me in 1976 - 1977 I was heavily into Black Sabbath. Saw them twice in concert that year. What was I thinking???
Anonymous said…
Ahhh...England Dan & John Ford Coley; Seals & Crofts; Doobie Brothers; America...some of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES!!!
Thanks for the reminiscence :=)
Pianist friend
Anonymous said…
We won a concert in Scotia, New york as well!
Dwbalu said…
I went to WTHS and spent every night writing those words out. As I remember, there was both a large school contest and a small school contest. We won the small school one.
Sharitou said…
We won a concert in Pulaski NY also. I tried finding info on it but couldn't. I do have their autograph from it though!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...