Skip to main content

Hug Me and Love Me

If you have followed my posts over the last several days you'll know that I have been pondering how I will be remembered in the future, IF I will be remembered, and considering the exercise of designing my own funeral and eulogy as mentioned by my brother-in-law. (It's no different sitting across the table from me--I go on a dozen unrelated tangents, but I always come around). Anyway,...

The point of the eulogy exercise is to establish goals, to define the kind of person I want to become and then take steps to develop into that person--not because I want people to say nice things about me at my wake, but because it's the right thing to do. Because I'm not a soulless creature who only thinks about the next meal. Because I'm not a cat whose only goal is to chase the yarn ball. Because when Jesus meets me at The Gate, I don't want to be accused of squandering.

But the fact is, a eulogy is a collection of nice things people might say about me at my wake, and for someone like me, using that as a basis for character development is a baaad idea.

I am somewhat affirmation starved and have been since the age of consciousness, growing up in an unaffectionate home with little sense of approval coming from anywhere but a sister now and then. When I was just six or seven, my thoughts centered on "hug me and love me." I have a clear memory of being six and running to my mother. I hugged her tightly because I had just run across her freshly mopped floor, and I was afraid she would spank me. She did not hug me back but instead peeled my arms off her waist and pushed me away. That moment pretty much defined my early childhood.

In the jumbled up adolescent-girl-world, the plea became "let me sit at your lunch table and love me." Between those nasty little cheerleader types, the smart snobby types, and the girls with boyfriends, I was quite often without a lunch mate. I spent a good number of lunch hours sitting in the hallway outside the band room mastering the art of being melancholy, reading something useless like a Clark Gable biography and waiting for Don Clark to walk by so I could pretend not to notice him.

I have said earlier that I was well-behaved growing up, and I was for the most part, fearing a swift back hand to the cheek. But I dated some true treasures--Good God, that's a tale for another day, or not. In retrospect, it's clear that each loser boyfriend was a search for acceptance--let me tell ya, hoping for a confidence boost from the greasy guy who runs the Tilt-A-Whirl at The Enchanted Forest will leave you wanting. "Ruin my hopes for a bright future with any sense of dignity AT ALL and love me."

In adulthood, I can see the same driving need--to please people and to be affirmed by them based on my performance--being played out in almost everything I do. I can throw some darn good dinner parties. "Like my food and love me." I play in an orchestra. "Approve of my music and love me." I spend a lot of waking hours designing book covers and brochures. "Like my work and love me."

I have a people-pleasing disorder. The Make People Happy for Strokes Disorder. MPHSD. And I have spent the last few years trying to overcome it. At this stage in my character development, I think a more appropriate exercise, one that doesn't involve sucking up the approval of others like a Hoover, would be for me to host a dinner party for the sake of being hospitable, something I think I have a gift for, or at least that's what people tell me. If it's true, I bet I have that gift for the sake of my guests, not so I can get strokes from the people I invite. And it would be good practice for me to play in the orchestra because it provides satisfaction and joy regardless of what kind of acceptance I might perceive or miss from what I call the "real" musicians. And my baby hats are just as good as those from that woman who insists on knitting in the continental style, damn it.

So, I won't be writing my own eulogy today. The less time I spend focused on what people think of me now and what people will think of me when I'm dead the better. I'll have to find some other way to build character, to develop MPHD.

Well, I've just looked at the clock, and I see it's time to go check my site meter so I'll know how many people have stopped by. "Read my posts and love me."

Comments

Sassy Sundry said…
That's a really honest post, Robyn. Thanks for sharing. I think it's really sad how hard it is for us to remember that we are worth something, no matter what other people think of us.
dive said…
It's kinda soon for the "L' word, but here's a great big, non-threatening comfort-hug.
Old Knudsen said…
I like the more gentle style of your blog, (as opposed to my glass in yer face blog)I wouldn't keep coming back if I didn't like you, now visit my blog so I can insult you proper like.
dive said…
Hi, Scout.
Thanks for your kind comments on my site. That hug has now become suspiciously suffused with the 'L' word.
Brr … Creepy, huh?

Great post, by the way. You have my sympathy. I've suffered all my life with that same puppy-like desire to please; the awful and overwhelming need for approval. Over the years, I've learned to watch for the signs and to consciously wrench my emotions away from it when it happens, especially at work.

Oh, and that is a seriously great photo on your masthead. I trust you don't play it like that!
Scout said…
Old Knudson, "glass in your face" indeed, but your abrasive approach to--well, just about everything, provides a nice balance. Insult away.

Dive, it's not creepy as long as you stay on your side of the Atlantic. I CAN play my horn that way, but my teacher would smack me upside the head if I did. Sometimes the intent is the same, though.
dive said…
Don't worry, Robyn; the furthest west I've made it is Cabo São.Vincente in Portugal. And Iowa is a long, long swim from there …
dive said…
Iowa?
Sorry, Scout; I meant Ohio …
Scout said…
Dive, I was going to correct you, but from where you sit, there probably isn't much of a difference between Iowa and Ohio. I've never been to Iowa, personally.
Anonymous said…
Robyn, this an incredible post!! What insight you have into your emotional makeup. Only someone who has done some work on themselves can see what is actually happening or what actually happened. Like you I have done some similar soul searching for approval and still find myself looking for it at times. I have come to realize though the only approval I really need is from myself.

Rich
Scout said…
Thanks, Rich. I can spell it out pretty easily, but actually working through it is more of a challenge.
Anonymous said…
robyns --

not only are you loved, you are admired. you say things out loud I think in my head (and then promptly stop me from posting about it for fear of being a copy-cat), your witty, you let me share artsy things with you that everyone else in my life would just blink at and grunt, you're hilarious, and when I read your latest post every day I feel like we've just had a super long conversation and I have even more proof of how much we have in common. (I think your mama and my mama are somehow related 'cause they used all the same phrases!).

and I agree with the others, your style is distinctively yours (I'm soo glad you don't have barnacles in yer britches like knudson does).

thanks for putting yourself out there, for giving me an outlet to read something fresh and original, for frustrating me so that I have to find things to say that are now fresh and original, and finally, for being the conduit that has introduced me not just to blogs and blogging, but to all the bloggers who post on your site. (yours all have blogs to read while mine are either you... or anonymous).

you are a peach!
Scout said…
Oh Adair, go on. I saw that you posted two new things this afternoon, but I won't be able to read them until later tonight or early tomorrow. I'm excited, seriously. YOU'RE a peach.
Yes, working through it is a challange. But the hard work is an investment in YOU. Take samll steps and and you will see it come together piece by piece.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...