Skip to main content

Happy Clean-Slate Day

Some people find Mondays stressful and nothing more than the signal of the beginning of a week of drudgery. Some people try to work up some mid-week enthusiasm on Wednesdays by devoting things to Hump Day--like our local radio station that features a Hump Day Party Tray contest. Be the fifth caller, and you win a lunch tray for your entire office. Some people get itchy on Friday because their work is almost done, and they can't wait for the weekend.

For me, the big day is Thursday. Thursday is Garbage Day, and it makes me feel fresh and good. On Garbage Day, I am being handed a clean slate, a fresh start, a mulligan.

My family and I spend seven days filling two, sometimes three, assorted cans by the garage with empty fruit snack boxes, chicken bones, butcher paper, salmon skin that can't go into the disposal, used cat litter that is suppose to smell like cedar but really smells like dust and ammonia and poo. Every day I pull an arm load of catalogs from the mailbox and put them straight into the can.

Once a week, some mysterious person drives by the house and tosses a local adpaper (like a newspaper but filled only with coupons for things like tire rotation and carpet cleaning which are things I don't shop for) out their car window, and it lands in the driveway. This adpaper sits there for days. It's wrapped in bright blue plastic, and even though it's small compared to the larger yards and trees and open sky, it makes the whole lot look like trash. But once I pick it up and put it in the garbage can, my yard is pure again.

A few weeks ago someone who will never fess up left the freezer door open all night long, just enough so that everything inside thawed. In the morning, I closed the door and let everything refreeze, afraid that if I threw it out so many days before Garbage Day, then it would all get stenchy in the can. So I waited. That Thursday, my husband and I each thought the other had dragged the cans to the street, and since neither of us did, we missed Garbage Day--one of the most disastrous mistakes we can make in any given week--and we had to keep the frozen-but-spoiled food stored in the freezer.

"Don't eat anything below the top shelf," I had to remind who ever put their hand on the freezer door handle.

Finally, another Garbage Day rolled around, and my freezer was purged. I was purged. My household was purged. I drove to The Store and bought another load of California Pizza Kitchen pizzas, a few more containers of Pierre's ice cream, some odd little cheese-filled pizza log things that my daughter likes. Everything was new and good.

I can clean out a closet and throw away years of accumulated trash--purged. I can empty the refrigerator of old jars of hoisin sauce, Dijon mustard, apple butter--purged. I can empty my office trash can of wasted bits of paper from failed experiments--purged.

Garbage Day offers newness. It offers the chance to start over, not just to make more trash or to feel guilty for not recycling (our trash collector claims to sort for recyclables, but I'm suspicious). It offer the chance to relish the grace the trashman brings with his dirty truck and filthy gloves. The trashman, incidentally, looks like an escaped rapist from Lucasville Prison. Even the neighbor dog is leery of him. But this pock-faced man with human flaws delivers grace, and for that, I am grateful.

It's Thursday. It's Garbage Day. And I feel clean.

Comments

Hats off to all our "sanitary engineers"!!!
This job isn't so bad because they make some pretty good finds in folk's trash. I had a friend who was a "sanitary engineer" and he found a whole collection of .. how shall I say it ...photos that put the woman who lived at the address in some very compromising positions.

so make sure you know what's going in your trash. ;)

oh by the way..Mondays are a new lease on life for me... I love Mondays!!! trash day is tuesday.
dive said…
Me too. Mondays rule.
I have to fit all my housework, gardening, shopping, visiting, social life, antisocial life, etc. into the weekends, so monday is a lovely breath of fresh (actually smoggy) air, when I get back to London and the toybox that is my job.

Time to talk rubbish: our council gives out various types of recycling bins to us and collects them on different days.
They also give out free composters to those who haven't got them (I love composting … er that sounds a little weirder than it actually is), and if you don't sort all your rubbish, they fine you big time.

Other than having really good compost when you need it, it discourages people from buying crap like pre-packaged "convenience" food.

Personally, I find the concept of "odd little cheese-filled pizza log things" very very scary, Robyn!

By the way, Rosie Thomas arrived. Lovely. She's playing as I type. Daughter no.1 has impeccable taste.
Sassy Sundry said…
You are so lucky. I have to do dump runs. Ah, the joys of country living.

I love the word "stenchy."

I hate Mondays.
Scout said…
Rich, I think wrote about somethine embarrassing related to trash in my yard a couple of months ago. Nothing "compromising," but embarrassing just the same.

Dive, you should be frightened by the pizza log things. God only knows what's in them. I'm glad you like your Rosie CD. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Sassy, Monday's are uneventful for me except that I get to be in my weekday routine, and I like my weekday routine.
peahen said…
With a smile on my face and lost for a moment imagining an official 'hump day', I can't believe that none of your other English (or Scottish) friends have commented on this lovely thought!
Scout said…
Peahen, I knew there was a risk in using the word, but here, in this context at least, hump simply means "the middle of the week" and if often used as a euphemism for Wednesday. We'll see how it's interpretted by others. :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...