Skip to main content

The Cave

As promised to Dive (Small Glass Planet), here is my cave, my quarters, my space. My horn is out for easy access because I have a lesson this afternoon and need to play through a few things before I show up for humiliation and degradation. I'm a little concerned about what Mike might be fixated on under my desk. He has uncovered spiders that could eat my chair under there.

Here is the other corner.

Comments

dive said…
Thanks, Robyn.
Great to see you're a Mac fan too.
Your 'cave' is so tidy compared with my pit of sadness. I'll take a pic when I get home and post it, so you'll feel nice and smug and neat.

Do you find cats like to stare at nothing just to freak you out?

I wonder what Old Knudson's gaffe looks like. I can picture him living in the wreck of an old whaler, mad as Ahab …
Scout said…
Yes, Mike is great at staring at invisible creepy things, which makes him a little creepy sometimes.

I have wondered about Knudson's surroundings. Although instead of Ahab I've compared him to Quint in Jaws.
Thanks for sharing... so what would you say the "focal point" to the cave is? From an amatuer interior designers stand point - you must have a focal pont.. I'm having trouble finding one here, Although my eyes keep fixating on your horn. :)
Scout said…
Focal point? I have several, which means I have none. I've got my horn and my computer and my cat and my window and my poster of the South Shore train to Chicago. Oh, and my coffee.
Sassy Sundry said…
Wow! It's a mess AND you have a cat. I'm totally allergic, but it would be grand fun to have a pet at the office. I have a photo of my humble desk, but I'd be ashamed to post it. :)
Anonymous said…
with a professional interior designer's opinion...

the Cave is a harmonious combination of clutter and creativity, and it is well known that neither can exist without the other 99.9% of the time (ooh, clutter and creativity -- what a delectable name for a blog!).

outside the realm of the Cave, a single focal point is often a good indicator that the room (or designer) is trying TOO hard to achieve a "designed" look. normally because the focal point (or focal wall, the horror of horrors) is garishly overwhelming in conjecture with the rest of the space. instead, to achieve a true design aesthetic the idea is to compliment and connect the elements in the room so that the room as a whole is engaging and inviting without becoming matchy-matchy. every spare inch could have a focal point -- an addition that catches the eye for longer than a nanosecond -- as long as all the focal points play nicely together.

and kiddies, that concludes today's design lesson 101. :)
dive said…
Sassy, Rich and Adair:
Come on guys. Robyn and I have come clean, now it's your turn.
Let's see where you're sat when you make these comments.
You know you want to …
Robyn, something just caught my eye - in the "Other corner photo" is that a pic of you on the wall wearing the mini skirt and boots?

dive, I do want to show ya'll wear i sit and conjour up all my great comments and decorating sense but there's not enough light in my cave to take a photo that would show the true essence of my decorating ability.
Scout said…
Rich, NO. It's a poster from the 20s advertising the South Shore train service running from Chicago to the Dunes in Indiana where I grew up. I rode that train line for several years.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...