Skip to main content

Candy Corn (for Dive)


Comments

dive said…
Yikes!
That stuff looks grim!
It looks to me like boiled sugar with enough added colourings to send most kids twitching and shrieking for hours.
Shudder …
Scout said…
Yes, but I find that most kids won't eat it. When they dump their treat bags out on the floor to sort their Halloween stash, they set the gooey chocolate stuff to one side, and then put the candy corn back in the bag where it will sit until someone else throws it away.
dive said…
Actually, looking at it again, it looks not unlike someone's just collected up and painted all the teeth the children have lost to sugar …
Sassy Sundry said…
Yummy, yummy, yummy. Mmmmmmmmm. Candy corn. Chock ful of sugar and cancer-causing coloring agents. Mmmmmmmm.
Anonymous said…
The gross orange candy corn (as photographed in the post) is just too chalky and inedible, hence why children dump it at Halloween in favor of candy bars.

However, someone brought me some that is brown called "mello corn" which is delicious. Mmmmmm.
Scout said…
Sassy, your enthusiasm makes me smile with this candy corn love that you have. Even though the stuff makes me wretch, I can respect your affection for it. I think I like the mello corn, although it's been quite a while since I've had some. I'll have to stop by Adair's and see if she's got a stash on her desk.
Sassy Sundry said…
It's yummy. Perhaps I'll try mello corn someday (it sounds rather odd---I don't think of corn being mello).
Ms Mac said…
It looks pharmaceutical to me.

I always thought it would be pop corn covered in toffee....

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...