Skip to main content

Birthday Wishes

Happy birthday to Eleanor Roosevelt, who was actually born Anna Eleanor Roosevelt. Franklin was her fifth cousin once removed--after their wedding, Theodore said to Franklin, "...there's nothing like keeping the name in the family."

I was raised to hold the Roosevelts up in high esteem, my parents being straight-ticket , yellow-dog democrats. As the phrase goes, they'd rather vote for a yellow dog than a republican, and they longed for the old days of the "solid south." Jimmy Carter ran for his second term when I was 18, so I drove myself to the polling station to be counted and stood at the back of a very long line. One of the poll workers asked if anyone was registered as a democrat--I proudly spoke up, the only one evidently, so I got to pass everyone else and vote first, a lot of good that did.

But back to Eleanor Roosevelt. She was every bit as much presidential material as her husband. Here are a few quotes that are a good representation of her character and insight:

We are afraid to care too much,
for fear that the
other person does not care at all.

I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity.

The only advantage of not being too good at housekeeping is that your guests are so pleased to feel how very much better they are.

Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water.

I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.

Comments

dive said…
Happy birthday, Mrs. R.
A wise and lovely woman.
Grandpa Simpson claimed she provided the cartoon voice of Scratchy the Cat during WWII.
Whatever; she sure looks great in a hat.
She was quite the woman. Witty as hell.. My Dad said he married my mother only becuase her name was also Eleanor.
Sassy Sundry said…
Ah, Jimmy. I remember that day clearly. It was my sister's fourth birthday (I was eight). We were playing on her new teeter-totter, and my parents (shame, shame) were hooting it up because Reagan won. She and I (both Democrats, a bit young then to have fully formed political opinions) exchanged some kind of look. We knew that things were going to get ugly.

I love Eleanor Roosevelt. Would that she had run.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...