Rich has assembled a list--5 Things That Hold You Back. I suspect these things might be universal and that fear of failure is our biggest obstacle to success in almost everything we attempt. What do you think?
So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...
Comments
Good list, Rich.
Holding you back from what, however?
This time of year, I like kicking through piles of leaves and eating baked apples, squash (ick, Robyn) and chestnuts.
Fear of failure doesn't hold me back.
Keep your goals small. You get to grin a lot more that way.
My next goal is catching sight of autumn leaves against a blue sky. I get a lot of grinning done in November …
Dive, when I read Rich's list, I was slightly startled because those are my issues as well. I can't speak for Rich, but by "hold back," I mean keeps you from attempting to reach some of the larger goals. I can kick up leaves with the best of them, but it takes a lot more courage to play in a orchestra with seasoned musicians, and I'm the novice. And I've missed some opportunities because of fear and self-doubt.
I'm working on taking each goal, big or small, one at a time and remembering my successes.
Remembering successes is great, too. High point of my life? Coming out on stage alone in front of a little over 25,000 people, sticking one foot up on a monitor and gazing out at them; then cranking up my Les Paul and watching 'em go ape …
Believe me, that feels goooood.
And if I can do it, then you certainly can.
The other musicians, no matter how crustily seasoned they may be, all started out as novices. They know just how you feel and will be supportive.
Don't hold back. Fear of failure is merely ignorance of your own abilites. If you were not good enough to be in the orchestra, you would not be in the orchestra. Period.
I like to think that I have my seat because I'm good enough, but I sometimes wonder if I'm only there because I'm a volunteer, and our orchestra is short on cash. It was suggested once by a pompous ass in the group.
And ALL orchestras are short of cash.
As for 25,000: you get to play in front of a lot more than that at festivals, but they're not all there specifically to see you. That lot were a bit special and I shall hug them to me on my deathbed.
I played in front of about 15,000 people when I marched drum corps back in the day.. "dadedadedadaa"