Skip to main content

"We Kneed the Dough"

I passed a sign today while driving by a monastery:

www.nunsbread.org
This is evidently a group of nuns having trouble heating their quarters, and they have become industrious in order to raise some cash.

Last winter, as the cold chilly winds forced our heating bills beyond imagining, the Nuns here at Sancta Clara Monastery knew it was time to become creative about paying our heating bills. A friend of the monastery suggested selling Wedding Soup and breadsticks. We thought this was a great idea!

In the month of March, 2005, we courageously launched our first monastery bread and soup sale. Besides breadsticks, our endeavor grew into loaves of delicious white bread and walnut raisin wheat bread. The heat was on! Even during our sizzling hot summer, lines of hungry folks flocked to bring home soup and bread.

We Kneed the Dough


Images of Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman wooing the cold-hearted land owner to save the school, or Sidney Poitier building a chapel, or John Wayne scrapping with Katherine Hepburn, or Clint Eastwood traipsing through the desert with Shirley McClain, or Whoopie Goldberg training a rat-tag choir (Good God--how many nun movies are there, anyway?)--have all come to mind.

I hope their baking business does the trick.

Comments

Old Knudsen said…
Poor nuns, having to work, what is wrong with the world? don't forget,'Heaven knows Mr Allison' with Bob Mitchum and Deborah Kerr who was also a nun in 'Black Narcissus ', Old Knudsen has voted her ' Hotest Nun Ever ' I could make a comment about keeping her warm but that would be disrespectful to the church, but I will say this theres a habit I wouldn't mind picking up.

Popular posts from this blog

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...

Ish People

Tell an Ish person to show up around 9 a.m., and you'll see them somewhere around 9 a.m. Tell them to show up at 9ish, and you'll see them anywhere from 9:05 to 9:20. You have given them license to dilly dally, and who wouldn't take advantage of that? The other night at the big shindig dinner party, one of the drummers said the rehearsal the next morning would begin at 9ish. "I am an ish person," he says. Immediately the clanker goes off in my head--oh, good, I thought. I can deliver my daughter a little late. No Ish person is early, so if you say 9ish, that does not mean give or take 5, 10, 15 minutes. It's exclusively a taking phrase. Take an extra 10 minutes to drink your cup of coffee. We won't mind. We're Ish people. Sunday's rehearsal started at 2:00. Because it was conducted by the same people who conducted the Saturday rehearsal, my understanding was 2-ISH. My daughter is worse than I am about taking liberties with Ish time frames, so she d...

Happy Birthday...

to me! Update: Since you have asked, I only got one actual packaged gift, a beautiful hand-made bracelet from a friend, but both girls were home for the weekend, and we had dinner at the lake and a relaxing weekend. Thanks to all of you for your lovely wishes!