Skip to main content

My Prized Possession

Two weeks to the Brahms concert, and then I can stop listening to the recording every stinking day, and I can take the "currently listening to" picture off the side bar. I'm getting a little tired of seeing that every time I sign on, but it serves as a reminder to not be lax with the practicing. Not that I need much of a reminder. Here's an excerpt from an e-mail we all received from the conductor yesterday: (If he was aware of my obsessive/compulsive nature, he'd know it's unnecessary to tell me this):

Become really familiar with the whole piece by listening to a recording until you reach a saturation level! In the car, in the livingroom, the kitchen, the shower, wherever - live with this music for the next few weeks. Pretty please? Thanks!

I went to Sunday school yesterday--we have a great teacher at our church, one of the few things about my church that I really, truly appreciate. This teacher is humble and smart and funny all at the same time--rare qualities to be found in one single person.

Anyway, yesterday this teacher asked for a list of things we would be devastated by if we lost. Of course, the first thing shouted out was family. I think health came next, or something like it. I knew this list would keep growing with things that people knew they should say, but all I could really think of was my horn, because of course I'd be devastated if I lost my family and friends and home and health. Why do I even need to say that? So, I said "my French horn." Teacher wrote it on the board with the rest of the "stuff," and for a second I felt shallow, unChristianlike, heathen. But I'm not any of those things. I really would be devastated if I lost my horn. I love my horn. I love playing my horn in the orchestra. I love playing it in the band every summer. I love the feel and weight of it when I hold it to play. I love the way the bell shines on those rare times when I take the time to clean it. I love that my teacher can see improvement between lessons.

And I'm not sorry.

Later the Teacher talked about other things we cling to, like position in society and passions, suggesting that hanging on to anything too much takes you down the wrong road. I suppose. But then again, I went back to my horn, which is part of my position in society and is the center of my passion--it's not just a bunch of coiled up brass with a screw bell. After class, I talked to the Teacher's wife all about my reasoning for listing my material possession among the other things the Teacher was probably expecting, and she knew exactly what I meant. She's a vocal soloist (an incredibly talented one), and a piano teacher, and the manager of the orchestra I cling to.

So, I'm going to pack up my prized possession and listen to Brahms one more time. And if there were a fire in my house, you can bet I'd grab my horn before any stupid photo album.

Comments

Rob7534 said…
Plus, those things are expensive!?

I love my baby grand piano, but in the event of a fire, there's no way in hell I would be able to drag that thing out of the house. I would be devestated!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.