Skip to main content

Dancing to Hades

Daughter #2 is going to homecoming with her friend, a girl. Girls do that now. They go to homecoming without boys because, well, who needs 'em. They can all go together and have fun without the pressure of "the date."

I never once went to homecoming because I was never asked. And since I was raised a strict Baptist destined for Hades if I danced, especially with a boy, it was just as well. I dated boys--a guitar player, a trombone player, a snare drum player, a marimba player--but through all of those awkward and unproductive entanglements (except maybe the marimba player), I maintained an undying crush on one boy, a tuba player named Don Clark.

I would have jumped off a bridge with Don Clark if that's what he wanted to do--tall, skinny, shaggy, diabetic boy that he was. I would have risked eternal damnation for mixed swimming if Don Clark had taken me to the beach. But despite my devotion and what I thought was requited affection, Don Clark chose someone else, a clarinet player, to be his girlfriend.

Near the end of my junior year, when Don Clark was a senior, this girlfriend suggested that he take me to the prom because she was a freshmen and not allowed to go. What a thoughtful girl to throw me such a bone--I don't think I would have shared so easily. Don really wanted to go to his last dance in high school, so he agreed.

Most of my older sisters were never allowed to go to dances, but by the time I was 16, my parents were tired of being the barrier between their children and hell--so I was allowed to go to the prom. My mother made my dress from a wedding dress pattern using off-white Qiana (it was 1979). It was absolutely matronly, as you can see here. There would be no Hell-dancing in this dress, that was clear.

This is what Mennonites would wear if they went to proms.

We sat with Don's friends and their majorette girlfriends whose mothers did not make their spaghetti-strap dresses--majorette girlfriends who knew how to dance. The saving grace during that miserable evening was that Don didn't know how to dance either, except for slow dancing. When the band would switch to something in high gear, we sat down, stared at the table cloth, and waited for a slow song. Just as Long and Winding Road was trailing off, the lead singer from the band screamed, "How about giving your girl a kiss!" Don Clark thought he said, "How about something from KISS!" a band he hated, so he shouted back, "No, not KISS," which was interpreted by the kids on the floor to be, "No, no kissing!" They all looked at me and laughed a pathetic pity laugh. Thank you for dinner, but please take me home.

So, it's good that #2 is going with a girl, and they can eat cookies if they want to, and they can giggle if they want to, and they can go to the restroom together if they want to. And if a boy asks one of them to dance, they can say "yes" or "no thank you," and there won't be any awkwardness to make them wish they had stayed home, and that the clarinet player had gone instead.

All we need now is a free afternoon to find the perfect store-bought dress.

Comments

Ms Mac said…
I honestly thought the no dancing rule existed only in the movies!
Scout said…
Oh, Ms. Mac, I could tell you stories--we had a whole list of "bad" things--like card playing and rock-n-roll and fermented beverages and long hair.....what a tiny little world that was.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...