Skip to main content

With all my heart.....

Do I like Italian band music? No. Wait, not even Funiculi Funicula? Have you seen the horn part? But what about Themes from Great Italian Movies? What great Italian movies? But what about Figaro? OK, I'll give on Figaro, if it's sung by the ever animated Ron Barkett, local baritone. But even then, the horn part is nothing but triplets--monotonous triplets meant to make the tongue numb.

Despite my grousing about the music at tonight's concert, it was still a very satisfying experience. My little town in Ohio hosts an Italian/American festival every year in August. It used to be hosted by the neighboring-somewhat-rival town, but the committee decided it could make more money by moving it next door. We close down the main street, bring in carnie rides and games, trucks that sell food on a stick, and a band stage for polka bands and who ever else is signed up to play. The Dominic Greco band is too big for the "stage," so we set up directly on the pavement. We play surrounded by old trees and lawn chairs and buildings that used to house shoe stores and clothing store but now house dance studios and little churches that read only the King James.

I had a conversation with one of my band member friends this evening before The National Anthem about how these festivals have so much potential to be small-town-cute, but he's pretty sure that they are more often small-town-loser. Maybe so. I guess it depends on your perspective. I guess it depends on your definition of loser. I guess it depends on if you like food on a stick. And I guess it depends on your expectations.

I don't really care for food on a stick, but when I see such a big crowd (relatively big) who drive down town just to hear the band play their favorite big band tunes and schmultzy patriotic stuff, and when I get to be a part of it, sitting in my chair in the middle of Third Street--pretty much right on the yellow divider line--then I think it's pretty small-town-cute.

About that schmultzy patriotic stuff--we play "God Bless the U.S.A" in almost every performance. At the beginning, each time, I take a deep breath and think that if I have to play this overly-sentimental hack song one more time...... But when the people in the audience stand up as if the stupid thing were the dadgummed national anthem, and they start waving little American flags that I swear they must have been hiding in their purses and back pockets because they don't expose them during other songs, then I hit the crescendo on page two with all my heart, soul, and body.

So, now, the concert is over, and I'm ready to shed my band get-up in exchange for regular street clothes. Tonight, instead of sleeping, I expect to be going over wrong note that came out of my horn tonight. And I expect to be thinking about how much I'll look forward to our season finale next weekend when we will play in an old park with trees that most likely have a hundred rings inside, and stone walls, and a carousel from the early 1900s. Talk about cute.

Comments

Ms Mac said…
I can't even begin to imagine what Italian Band Music actually sounds like. I'm sure I know, just haven't applied a label to it yet.

But I do know that there's probably not a food in the world that to me doesn't taste a million better when it's served on a stick!
Scout said…
Wow. My first comment. Imagine a little polka, a little vibrato, a lot of gusto--Italian.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.