Skip to main content

What to Believe?

When I was in elementary school, Yost Elementary--a darkish older building beside a raised highway so that I feared that every passing semi was in danger of storming through the guard rail and landing right on the jungle gym--I learned the planets. There were nine. It was concrete. It was certain. It was written in the text book that Mr. Boll swore by as he waved it around with his boney arms in front of the black board.

Now, it's no longer true. It's no longer concrete and certain, and it is about to be removed from the text book (Mr. Boll is most likely long retired).

I am unsettled by this new knowledge. The ground I stand on is trembling from below, and I am inclined to stand braced in the door frame for support. What other "truths" have I been taught that are not so true?

Here are a few I have already uncovered:
1. Black people don't show their age.
2. Children who drink coffee will stunt their growth
3. Pavement turns white when it gets cold in winter
4. Christians who misbehave will live in shacks when they get to heaven
5. If you swallow watermelon seeds, a watermelon will grow in your stomach
6. Eating sugar straight from the little paper package will give you worms
7. Playing cards is from the devil
8. Rock music is from the devil
9. Dancing is from the devil
10. Movies are from the devil
11. Music without words "don't mean nothin' "
12. Men just naturally know how to build things

It seems that nothing is written in concrete, except that God loves me. But I have learned so much more than that in 40-plus years. Now that Pluto has been voted out of my understanding of the solar system, I have to believe that other "facts" may be removed from what I know to be true, and my foundation with have that much less support. Very unsettling indeed.

Comments

Rob, I think so many of us are taught to beleieve all of those things. I can identify with you. I enjoy reading your blog it has a calming quality about it.
Scout said…
thank you thank you thank you. I wasn't sure anyone was actually reading.

The next step: to make sure I don't pass on the same misinformed crap (or something similar) to my own kids. Yikes.
I stummbled upon your blog and read some and I for some reason became intrigued.. I guess that's the purpose of us posting a bit of our lives for others to see.

You are right about 3rdvalve - I did play the trumpet but in drum corps the 3rd valve was recently added to the sopranos as there were previously only two. So basicall they are trumpets now and NOT soprano's anymore. It's all good. It is so ironic to meet another Drum Corps fan. I recently went to Madison Wisconsin for the DCI Championships this year... GREAT!!!!
Scout said…
I haven't heard anyone rave about DCI in years. My band-director friends just roll their eyes when I reminisce. My HS band director resigned to become a DCI judge in the early 80s. He was known as Mr. C, actually, so when I first saw your post, I was a little creeped out--he's actually dead. Glad it was you instead of him. ha
I was undecided about what name to use. I think I will keep 3drvalve because sometimes I feel like the third valve in my daily life.Or maybe I could use a 3rd valve when things get overwhelming. You know that little extra push. Plus a horn wouldn't be a horn without it.

What is your horn of choice? Are you a trumpet player as well?

as for DCI.. yeah, a lot of people are calling it marching band these days because of some changes that have gotten Drum Corps away from it's original form. But I think some change is always good as long as it's in a positive direction.I did both marching band and Drum Corps so I like both but my heart of hearts is probably with Drum Corps
Scout said…
For me, "horn" is shorthand for French horn. So to follow your analogy, my "3rd valve" would be the thumb key, that little bit of extra push when the other fingerings aren't enough. I had thought about making my site just about the horn, but gosh, wouldn't that get dull.

I played years ago, and then didn't play for over 20 years. I got a horn as a surprise birthday gift about six years ago and set out to learn as if I were in 5th grade. It was humbling, but the end result (or current result) has become a consuming passion. I'm now playing a Conn 8d, to answer your question of horn of choice.
I knew it!!! I was going to say "fench Horn" I too have recently been trying to find more time to play my horn. A couple of years ago I had the very first trumpet i ever got (which was when i was ten y/o) refurbished. It is very humbling to say the least as I have not plated in as many years as yourself.
Scout said…
well, get those chops going, and play the thing.

There is a certain personality that goes with each instrument, don't you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.