Skip to main content

So about this store

There are only two grocery stores in town, one on the north side with a gas station and a very nice pick up lane with a conveyor belt so you don't have to wheel your own stuff out to your car. The other is on the south side of town, a fine side, but the strip-mall parking lot sometimes looks abandoned, and occasionally in the spring, there have been reports of overzealous men exposing themselves to shoppers. I frequent the store to the north.

It has very helpful employees and nicely stocked shelves, but I have a problem with some of the stuff they stock up on. I turn my nose up at most manufactured cookies (Oreos being an exception). The precooked slop at the deli is some of the most unappetizing "food" I've ever had to wheel my cart past. And I think everything in the bakery all taste the same--it all taste like white bread but in different forms. White bread donuts. White bread bagels. White bread wheat bread.

My main complaint: this store is slow to keep up with trends. The deli now sells brie, but they have no idea what I'm saying when I ask for mascarpone. At the fish counter, they hand out free recipes to push the special, which is nice, but one of the recipes calls for prosciutto. Without sounding like a grocery hag, I let the fish guy know that the store doesn't sell proscuitto. Huh? Oh never, mind.

Try looking for an interesting kind of cheese that I need to create a masterpiece from one of my 100 hardbound cookbooks (100 plus, really). I don't believe that everyone in this county thinks that Velveeta is the best topper for filet mignon with a wine reduction. I thought everyone knew that Velveeta is nothing more than government cheese with a different package.

Side note: I know all about government cheese, and government rice and government milk. My father's carpenter's union handed all of those supplies out to its members, which seemed ironic to me when I was a kid. If this union is so helpful, making sure everyone is paid a livable wage, and has insurance and a pension, and provides safe working conditions, then why do they give their members food meant for the needy? And what needy people went without so that union workers could eat cheese you could mold like Playdough?

Anyway, last night I discovered not only blue cheese at the deli counter, but Maytag blue cheese. And stilton, And prosciutto. And argula in produce.

I am now one appeased food snob. Now, if I can just get rid of all that Velveeta.

Comments

Anonymous said…
yes, it is true... our dear little store is finally catching up with the times. however, let me warn you to steer clear of all things fresh mozarella.

I have tried, on four separate occassions to purchase said delectable from the store, only to find it rancid when I got it home. Guess I will just have to find a way to import it myself...
Scout said…
Oh, I've seen those. Sometimes they're OK, and sometimes that actually have visible mold.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.