Skip to main content

Sea of Glass


Over the last few days, I've read several posts practically mourning the first day of school, but daughter #2 is a junior this year, so I'm beyond lamenting the end of summer. Here is the notable event of our family's first day:

It's Thursday, which means it's garbage day in Small Town. I got up early this morning and dragged a couple of cans chock full of trash to the curb and set them down right by the mail box (for some reason, my garbage men become irritated if I put the trash on the other side of the driveway, and they are known to throw the cans halfway into the yard in protest). So, I put the cans in the correct spot to appease the grisly looking trash collectors.

Part of my Thursday thrill is returning home in the afternoon and being able to ram my car into the now-empty cans and watching them tumble and roll into the bushes. I suppose the thrill is rooted in some deep need to express aggression and hostility. Whatever the reason, that is part of the afternoon. But this morning, with #2 in the car, all dressed in her coolest new getup, I pulled the Pacifica out of the garage and backed straight into the biggest of the two cans, knocking it over and spilling its rubbish into the street, or so I thought. Turns out, the only thing that escaped was an empty wine bottle, a nice royal blue one. I pulled over to right the can so the neighbors wouldn't have to swerve around it, and I rolled right over the bottle, spraying a million pieces of glass into a pretty pattern with a circumference the size of a swimming pool. Sigh.
Here's a picture of a small bit of the mess, right before I bent over in my flowing skirt to sweep it up. #2 thought we should toss it all into the sea so that some lucky beach comber would discover the sea glass someday. It's a lovely idea, but instead I chucked it. Well, at least it was an enjoyable supply of Reisling.

Comments

Ms Mac said…
Ooooh, a pretty bottle! I'd have bought that wine in a heartbeat!

#2's idea was a lovely one, my horrible boys never think of lovely things like that. Wanna swap?

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.