Skip to main content

Put that Stick Down

Daughter #1 coerced me into going to the store with her last night. Small-town lingo: store=grocery store. While walking from the car to the front door, I spotted a brown and black caterpillar on the cobblestone sidewalk, and I bent over to get a closer look. I took a moment to admire its determination and marvel at how oblivious it was to its surroundings, having no idea that I was possibly seconds away from squashing it with my size-nine shoe.

The thing happened to be inching right beside a stick, a tool I figured was there so I could poke at it. So I did. I wasn't hurting the thing--I just wanted it to curl up on the end of the stick so I could play with it for a minute. The bug (or is it bug-to-be?) wouldn't help me out and did everything it could with its billion legs to avoid me and my stick.

#1 had had enough of my lackadaisical approach to the task at hand--going to the store--, and said sharply, "Put that stick down." Recognizing the size difference and imbalance of power it created, she then said, "How would you like it if God stood over you poking you with a stick like that?"

Hmm. Interesting picture. Always looking for an opportunity to be a victim in need of sympathy, I said, "God does that to me all the time until I finally have to tell him, 'Enough, already. Put that stick down!" " I amused myself, but #1 rolled her eyes. We both know I have a pretty easy life.

So, I can't say that God pokes me with a stick, but it does seem that some people, and even some regions of the globe, get a pretty thorough pestering--not with a stick, but with a full-sized log, a telephone pole, an uprooted California redwood--stirring and mixing up--with the caterpillar, which seems to be caught off guard every time, scurring and weakly doing whatever it can to avoid the poking.

I don't believe God sends hurricanes or tsunamis or pestilence in all its forms to punish people. I think we can look to laws and patterns of nature for that, although you could argue that since I believe God created that same unaccommodating nature, then isn't he ultimately responsible, or maybe irresponsible, depending on your perpective?

I have no explanation as to why some people subsist on specks of grain on a good day, while I have a big, brick house for living, a little lake house for resting, a pool, four cars, plenty of food.......it's nauseating to continue with the list, actually, and a little shameful. My father used to look at too-large houses and mumble, "Nobody needs a house that big. I don't care how many kids they got." He was probably right.

So, I put the stick down, gingerly stepping over the caterpillar, and I let it go on to make its cocoon some place that would be undisturbed, some place where no giants with sticks would try to stir him up.

Comments

Very Poingant indeed!!!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.