Skip to main content

Oh, Mr. Bennett--Behave!

That's the phrase from Pride and Prejudice that led my neighbor-friend to name her new little Bishon Mr. Bennett. I used to think of those dogs as ladies' dogs, lap dogs, prissy dogs. But Mr. Bennett I love, and he loves me--always ready with doggy kisses.

I have been talking him up to visitor Mama, and today we stopped by neighbor-friend's yarn shop to see him, and of course to see neighbor-friend who I love more than dog-friend. I reached out to Mr. Bennett, took him in both arms, and threw my head back so he could give his doggy-butt-licking kisses as he is accustomed to doing. He was all shaky and excited and grunty. What a treat.

But in his excitement, he peed all over my shirt. Not just a little tinkle. I mean ALL OVER my shirt--a big stinking yellow spot the size of a giant baked Idaho potato. Possibly the size of Idaho itself.

Oh, Mr. Bennett, behave.

Comments

Daphnewood said…
I thought only girl dogs did that. Wouldn't it be funny if Mr. Bennett was really Mrs. Bennett? I am sure there is no mistake. I just remember having to change my cat's name from Theo to Thea once when I was younger.
Ms Mac said…
I always love, "Oh Mr Bennett, are we to be murdered in our beds?!?"

I think I need a dog named Mr Bennett now, to make my life complete.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.