Skip to main content

An Odd Thing

Well, last night I sat through my last band rehearsal of the season, and I relished every single moment of it--sweat, screeching trumpets, missed pitches, and all. Can't wait until next summer to start the bloody thing all over again.

But the odd thing--there is a student in the horn section, a nice 16-year-old girl who has just recently joined the band. She's polite and talkative, even to a gray-haired-forty-something woman she can't possibly have anything in common with except the horn. I always appreciate friendly youngsters. But the odd thing--I think she's a little too friendly. She always offers a big wave, she tries to interject in conversations I have with adult friends, and the other day before the Italian shindig, she kind of hugged me and put her head on my shoulder as she said hello. I offered a "hello" back, but what I wanted to say:

Little girl, you're nice and friendly, but we are not and never will be friends. I'm old enough to be your mother. My #2 girl is in your class, even, and you should be her friend, not mine.

I'm being harsh. Last night, when everyone was randomly warming up and the stage sounded like rush hour in a city (so unlike my own little town--I can barely remember rush hour). Anyway, the friendly girl handed me a card in a nice pink envelope sealed with a Jiminy Cricket sticker. She had one for my principle-horn-friend as well, who is her own horn teacher. Half way into rehearsal I opened the card and read the sweetest thing--all about what a good friend I have been to her and how she appreciates my support for her musical learning experience and how she has learned so much from me just by playing with me all summer. Very nice, except that I don't believe she can hear my playing from where she sits, and I don't believe I have said more than a dozen words to her all summer, and I DID NOT kind of hug her back at the Italian thing.

I'm not sure what to make of this, except that now I don't have to make anything of it, I guess. I won't be seeing her very often until next summer. The principle-horn-friend thinks she's just searching, and my mother thinks that maybe life at home is lacking, and she's reaching out. Could be. Odd thing, though. And I can't think of a single 40-something who my own #2 16-year-old would kind of hug. Hmm

Comments

Ms Mac said…
Hmmmm... strange for sure. I think I would have the same reaction as you. I agree, something may be lacking at home but I don't know if I'd have the patience/charity to be the one to fill the void for her.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.