Skip to main content
Nobody knows how we got to
The top of the hill
But since we're on our way down
We might as well enjoy the ride

When you look at life this way, how could you possibly tolerate "policies" in your home. Policies belong in the UN. Policies belong at the stock exchange. Policies belong where chaos will result without them. But in my own home?

•Will chaos result if I leave the windows down when I park the car in the driveway? A fly might get in, or a lady bug, but I don't think I'll trigger Armegeddon.

•I won't be firing the first shot of WW3 if I don't put the car keys in what we call "the special papers cabinet" so that the next person won't have to hunt for them. If they aren't in the SPC, they're surely somewhere on the kitchen counter, right out in the open, or maybe under the stack of mail.

•If kittie cat Tiger sits on the desk in the kitchen hoping I'll notice his empty bowl, we won't default on the mortgage.

•If same kittie cat Tiger drinks out of the bathroom sink, the world won't plunge into a fuel shortage reminiscent of the 70s.

•If I wear denim on the top, say in jacket form, even though every one knows that denim belongs on the bottom, a sink hole won't consume the front yard.

Today, in protest of household policies, I will leave the porch door open this morning, possibly air-conditioning the whole outside. I'll leave the garage door open so the neighbors can see that we aren't tidy people, as if they couldn't already tell from the crop of weeds by the pool gate. I'll even leave the TV on in the other room, even though no one will be in there for hours. And I'll leave some shoes in every room, just in case I might want to wear them as I pass through.

There are so many rules and policies we can't avoid, why not let up a little in the house that is supposed to offer sanctuary.

Sliding down
Gliding down
Try not to try too hard
It's just a lovely ride

Comments

Ms Mac said…
Good point. I hope your day goes well.

By the way, I'm not of the school who doesn't believe in denim on top. I like denim on top, as long as denim isn't worn top and bottom simultaneously. Just a teeny tny fashion policy is allowed today, no?

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.