Skip to main content

My Mama

Visitor Mama has just left for her home near Atlanta. She has been visiting for a week. I had to work quite a bit, which is unfortunate, but we were able to do a few interesting things that she doesn't normally get to do at home.

We spent a night at the lake house--we had dinner at the marina, watched the hummingbirds, sat by the fire in the midst of the pines, and played cards. She went to one of my concerts and got to hear the Salute to Spike Jones (I'm sure that was a real highlight--smirk). We went back to the lake house on Sunday and spent part of the afternoon meandering on the pontoon boat. It was a cloudy day, so there weren't too many boaters out there--nothing worse than a bunch of people taking up our water space. That night for dinner, we had scrambled eggs and bacon while sitting on the deck, which seems too mundane to even mention except that it made for a delightful evening that touched the senses.

Side note: during the boat ride, the sun shone through the clouds in what the author of The Bridges of Madison County labeled "God light." I cannot state clearly enough how much I detest that book--pure swill--and I have been forced to use the phrase "God light" to refer to that particular kind of filtered sunlight because I didn't know what else to call it. But when my mother saw the cloud/sun/sky configuration, she told about how her own mother, a lovely Alabama woman who is fading in my memory, would look at that particular kind of filtered sunlight and say, "the sun is drawing water." How lovely.

Back to visitor Mama: we bought yarn, sat by the pool, pet the kitties, watched a couple of movies (like "Cocoon," which may not be the best film to watch with someone who is 80 years old and has just lost her driver's license due to poor eyesight), made cookies, saw daughter #2's first varsity tennis match, and told stories. All in all, it was a nice visit.

This is a picture of my parents sometime in the 1940s. Fetching.



Comments

Anonymous said…
I am a northern transplant from a long line of tender southern women who defied stereotypes and lived with quiet grace... who always remarked, when the bright rays of sunlight connected beaming earth with grey clouds etched with gold, that "the sun is drawing water".

Now they also said that rain with the sun shining bright above meant that "the devil was beating his wife"... but that isn't nearly as blissful a word picture.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.