Skip to main content

A little Advice



...to the now-driving neighbor girl. Here's a little advice--learn to exercise courtesy and grace, especially when interacting with your neighbors.

I know that my big bank of white pines intrudes on the roadway and that I have a big-ass stone mailbox that is difficult to see around when I back out of my driveway, but neither of these obstacles means that you should come over the hill with no regard for me and my big-ass Pacifica. Until I can get the trees trimmed and until I can ditch this car for something less cumbersome, it falls to you to offer courtesy. You have the right of way, but you won't be late for school if you stop to let me out in front of you on mornings when I don't see you coming--on mornings when I don't see you barreling over the hilltop heading straight for the curve with no intention to stop for anyone or anything that might have the misfortune of crossing your careless path.

On these mornings, it also falls to you to offer me grace. I'm sure it's frustrating to have to accommodate me and my car, and I'm sure when I make you break your stride and actually apply the brake, you might be angry. But if you can extend grace (take a breath and let it go for being nothing but a momentary inconvenience), then you will have accomplished one of the more lofty of human achievements. You will have made a connection with a fellow human in a way that puts us above the rest of creation. Choose to be better and more accommodating, and choose to rise above your basic human condition.

This is advice I feel qualified to offer because I have to work at exericising these same principles. It is in my basic nature to plow through intersections and TAKE my right of way, but it is of a higher human ability that I choose to make way for the rest of the driving population.

You thought you were just operating a motor vehicle, but when you drive, you're opening yourself up to a new world of opportunities and possibilities for growth and development. They didn't teach you that at the AAA--they were remiss.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Our neighborhood has had many wild driving kids through the years. Sad, though, now...all of those kids are grown and gone. Oh well...life goes on, and now we'll have to watch for the "senior" drivers!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.