Skip to main content

Jimmy

Today is Jimmy Stewart day on Turner Classic Movies--an entire day of his smooth voice, everyman face, and inspiring talent.

Remember the scene in "It's A Wonderful Life" when George has had more than he can take--just too many disappointments in life? He goes to Mr. Martini's, sits at the bar, and prays. He's not a praying man, he says, but he declares that he is at the end of his rope. "Show me the way, God." In the background is the din of a bar on Christmas eve--music, talking--going on around him despite his desperation.

Stewart was so in character in that scene that he became George Bailey--he was at a crisis point, he actually prayed to a God he doubted, and he cried unexpectedly. Frank Capra had intended for the scene to be shot at large, but when he went back to view the footage and saw Stewart's real and raw emotion, he cropped in as close as he could get to capture the man's expression and tears. That's why that one scene is not quite as crisp as the rest of the film.

How would we be different, I wonder, if we were all able to be as transparent.

Comments

You said:
How would we be different, I wonder, if we were all able to be as transparent.

Could the real question be... How would others see us?
Scout said…
Scary view. Maybe women tend to keep more secrets than men, I'm not sure. But sometimes secrets are good, and wearing it all on the sleeve isn't good for everybody.

Even George kept his dissapointment and disillusionment to himself sometimes, until it boiled to top.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.