Skip to main content
Is he not lovely? I have been listening to Michael McDonald's Motown CDs in my car while on the 50-GAZILLION TRIPS I make each day between the marching band practice field and the tennis park. It was on one of these 50-GAZILLION TRIPS that daughter #2 discovered "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me." And she believes it would make an ideal marching band number. I wasn't sure, but if you work it around a good sax solo and let the trumpet line carry it after the first verse, it might work.

On a slightly different thought line, I was heading to my favorite place for joe this morning, listening to "Tracks of My Tears" when I saw a car make a u-turn on the main street so they could park heading in the other direction. Then I saw the woman in front of me wag her boney finger at this u-turn driver.

I often wag my not-so-boney finger at people who drive like morons, especially if they're kids because I fancy myself to be the Universal Mother (more on that another time). But after seeing the hideousness of the boney-finger HAG, I don't think I'll ever wag at another moron again.

"People say I'm the life of the party...."

Comments

Ms Mac said…
I'd never even heard of Michael McDonald until a Swiss friend told me about him.

Now he's everywhere!
Anonymous said…
I sent a comment earlier that didn't get posted...Michael McDonald is one of my all-time favorites. I liked him when he was with the Doobie Brothers and even more now. He's going to be at Blossom tomrrow night with Steely Dan. What an awesome concert that will be. I want to go!!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.