Skip to main content



I don't believe I can in good conscience add Martin Sheen to the Star God block because I'm not sure he's earned it, not in the way Fred Astaire (god of gods) has earned it, but I can't help admire his general gumption. Here's an excerpt from an article on cnn.com:

Sheen, 66, has enrolled for a degree in English literature, philosophy and oceanography at the National University Ireland (NUI), Galway. The actor, whose mother hailed from the Irish county of Tipperary, has been quoted as saying he wanted to finish his education when he retired from acting as he never got his high school diploma, according to media reports. A dedicated supporter of liberal causes, Sheen has been arrested more than 60 times for public protests.

When I'm 66, I want to enroll somewhere and get a degree of somekind. It probably wouldn't change my life in a notable measure, but it would be nice to have that kind of goal and desire for continuous learning.

Comments

Rob7534 said…
Did he actually earn those degrees, or are they honorary?

Hmm... I just can't see him sitting quietly in class! :)
Scout said…
I think this is future tense--he's about to "sit quietly in class" presumably.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.