Skip to main content

How to explain?

For so many years, I lost count, I sponsored a World Vision child with my meager $25 a month--which evidently buys more than I can imagine in Indonesia. Here, it buys about a pound of filet mignon, which shows just how over-indulged I am.

Actually, it was just last night when I was complaining that my husband's new pickup truck doesn't have automatic windows or an external thermometer, that a good friend called me "over indulged."

Anyway, my WV girl has grown up and gotten a job, so she's off the "payroll." I have been assigned a new child--a 10-year-old boy from Senegal named Mayecor. Mayecor has written a letter to me and my family through the help of a village interpretor.

He lives with his family in a little farming village and goes to school when he's not helping with the animals. He likes football (the international version), and he tends cows, goats, and chickens. He describes his father has having one wife, which seems very odd to me, but then I am an American, and we don't like polygamists here, even if they collect wives for religious purposes--or maybe it's because they collect wives for religious purposes.

So, now I have to write a letter back to Mayecor, and I am struggling with what to say. He has asked so many delightful questions--like how many animals do we have, how many people are in our family, what do we like to do. How do I explain to a child in Senegal who is all about survival that my only animals are two overweight inside cats whose claws have been removed so they don't shred the couch, and that I am the one wife and always will be the one wife, and that I like to sit in my arm chair or at my home-office desk and type to absolute strangers on a computer. And my truck doesn't have automatic windows.

Maybe Mayecor won't be judgmental. Although I'm not sure why he should--it's not bad to have two or three of everything, is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.