Skip to main content

Dear Mayecor (see How to Explain)

We were so happy to get your letter. Your village sounds like a nice place to live, and it sounds like you are very busy taking care of the cattle and playing football.

Here are some answers to the questions you asked in your letter:

The United States is very big, so we have a lot of different kinds of weather. Where I live, we have four seasons--it gets cold and snows in the winter, it rains in the spring, it's nice and warm in the summer, and in the fall, it starts to get chilly, and the leaves on the trees turn from green to bright orange and yellow and red. It's very pretty in the fall.

We have two cats named Tiger and Mike. There are farms near our house with dairy cows, but we live in town and don't have any other animals. There are a lot of wild dear near our house--I have seen as many as 12 all at once. My husband owns a publishing company and sells books. My job is to design the covers for the books.

We have two daughters. One is in college studying chemistry, and the other is in high school and wants to be a baker. They both play the trumpet and like to play tennis. They have both studied French in school. I play the French horn in an orchestra in my town and in a band that gives concerts at the park in the summer.

My favorite food is salmon and vegetables, and of course I also like cookies and coffee.

Also, in the United States, we have traffic lights that keep all the cars in order. We have freedom of speech and freedom of religion. We have free education for all our citizens and anyone else who happens to sneak in, and we have a functioning judicial system, with laws against beating wives and throwing trash all over the street. Of course, I'll delete this last part from your copy, but I understand these are things you may not know about the United States.

Sincerely, your sponsor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.