Skip to main content

Curmudgeon vs. Button-Pusher

I visited my favorite little coffee shop in town this morning. It's a place I like to go to just sit and people watch, talk about the news with whoever is sitting at the counter reading the paper, and to meet a friend now and then. Plus, they know my name, although one of the women forgot not too long ago and referred to me as "that woman with the spiky hair." Fine--at least they still hire me to design their menus, which makes me proud every time I see them stacked on the tables between the salt and pepper.

This morning, there were two men with the paper. Really, man #1 was reading, and man #2 was looking over his shoulder. I would have crowded in, but man #1 didn't look all that friendly.

Man #1 is someone I've never seen there before. He was just north of middle age and hadn't shaved. We'll call him Curmudgeon Man. Man #2 is a regular, even more so than I. He moved here from Manhattan recently--I think it was because of a woman--and he is a very accomplished guitarist. He's known as Broadway, but we'll call him Button-Pusher Man.

So, out of the blue, Button-Pusher Man says to Curmudgeon Man, "do you follow professional sports?" It seemed to be an uncomfortable question, like the kind they teach you in evangelism classess--like saying to someone you don't know, "are you interested in spiritual things?"

Curmudgeon Man looks up from the paper and his coffee and grunts a "N0. You?" Hooked, just what Button-Pusher Man was looking for. He replied, and I quote, "Sports are the carcinigen to the intellect and the arts in this society." I think that might be the equivalent to an evangelist saying something like, "well then let me give you some good news."

Curmudgeon Man said in his detached gravelly voice, "Don't get me started on the arts." Hooked again. Button-Pusher got this grin I haven't seen since Scarlet O'Hara flashed dimples at poor unsuspecting Mr. Kennedy. Curmudgeon didn't want to pursue a conversation, but Button-Pusher wouldn't let go of the bone. He proceeded to evangelize masterfully about the importance of the arts. Curmudgeon kept feeding him with butt-on-the-bar-stool comments like, "PBS is a complete waste of money."

Button-Pusher practically pulled a tract from his breast pocket and talked about all of the great and informative programs he had seen on PBS, and to reach out to Curmudgeon on a personal level, even talked about programs about Ohio that were so helpful to someone like himself who wasn't an Ohio native.

There were no converts this morning at the coffee shop, and I suspect there wasn't even a planted seed, but there was sure some lively discussion for a people-watcher like myself to witness. And Button-Pusher got to hone his witnessing skills.

Comments

Ms Mac said…
Once, in a coffee shop like you, I witnessed a heated conversation. The most notable ting about it was not the topic matter but the fact that it was one man having a heated discussion with himself.

It's day like that that I wish I had a real grasp of Swiss German.
Rob7534 said…
HA! I love this post, well done!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.