Skip to main content

The Joplin Twins

Lately, I have had it in my head to learn to play Maple Leaf Rag, the Scott Joplin classic. I have heard it several times on Sirius radio's classical pops station. Sometimes I think they have a pile of about twenty or thirty numbers they just keep repeating over and over.

Anyway, I want to learn to play Maple Leaf Rag. I learned a Joplin rag in high school when I took piano lessons from Mr. Stevesand. Mr. Stevesand was an eccentric bachelor type who lived in a house out in the country. He taught math at a middle school during the week, but on weekends he taught piano on a lovely old baby grand. He must have been quite a pianist in his younger thinner days, but in his older thicker days, his fingers were like clumsy sausages, and he wasn't as accurate as he would have liked. He did help me through the rag, though.

My mother heard me playing it at home one day and asked what it was. I said, "The Entertainer," by Scott Joplin. You would have thought I had said it was written by Satan himself. She did not want anything in her house that had anything to do with anyone with the name of Joplin, all because Janice Joplin was such an animal in her opinion. She was a filthy, poorly behaved young woman with a voice like a frog. Just look at her. She ought to be slapped. Why anyone in their right mind would listen to that garbage is just beyond belief.

So, no more Scott Joplin, at least no mention of Scott Joplin. Any time my mother heard a rag being played on the family piano, and she stopped to ask what it was I was playing, I would say something vague, like "it's a rag of some kind. I don't know who wrote it."

Well, now, years and years and years after my last lesson with funky Mr. Stevesand and his stand-up hair and thick glasses, I am attempting to learn Maple Leaf Rag. I just bought it today, so it will take quite a while to get to where I even know the notes.

Here. Look at these people. Do they look anything alike at all, I ask you?

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee. Scott and Janice. That cracked me up, Robyn.

I remember trying Maple Leaf Rag.
Yikes!
It made me want to chop off my left hand and sounded like someone throwing a piano down a hill.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!
Sassy Sundry said…
Take it! Take another little piecee of my rag, now baby!

Religious moms. They provide endless entertainment (and therapy bills).

My mom happened to love "The Entertainer," though, and she had a soft spot for our dear Janis.

Good luck. You'll have to post a recording.
Fresh Hell said…
My parents were both big fans of both the mentioned Joplins. I was lucky, but I also had the embarrassing experience of watching my mother try to dance like Janice in front of my friends. She played the piano better than she danced. *sigh*
I liked how Janice looked sitting on that chopper. Don't know much about the other. Don't listen to it much.
Miz Minka said…
I remember trying to learn the Maple Leaf Rag! Scott Joplin is beyond my measly piano talents, unfortunately. But I have a nice CD of Joplin rags played by Scott Kirby, which I pop in the CD player when I have a hankerin' for that old time piano music.
Gina said…
They look nothing alike! Too bad the internet wasn't around at that time, or you could have shown her. Or, maybe that wouldn't have made a difference at all.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Ish People

Tell an Ish person to show up around 9 a.m., and you'll see them somewhere around 9 a.m. Tell them to show up at 9ish, and you'll see them anywhere from 9:05 to 9:20. You have given them license to dilly dally, and who wouldn't take advantage of that? The other night at the big shindig dinner party, one of the drummers said the rehearsal the next morning would begin at 9ish. "I am an ish person," he says. Immediately the clanker goes off in my head--oh, good, I thought. I can deliver my daughter a little late. No Ish person is early, so if you say 9ish, that does not mean give or take 5, 10, 15 minutes. It's exclusively a taking phrase. Take an extra 10 minutes to drink your cup of coffee. We won't mind. We're Ish people. Sunday's rehearsal started at 2:00. Because it was conducted by the same people who conducted the Saturday rehearsal, my understanding was 2-ISH. My daughter is worse than I am about taking liberties with Ish time frames, so she d...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...