Skip to main content

Git Ya’ Some Shrimp ‘n’ Grits

I’m channeling my father when I speak in the dialect that includes phrases like “git ya’ some.” He usually used it when forcing fresh tomato slices in the summer. “Git ya some tomata,” he would say, and I would flinch because the notion of just eating a slice of tomato was not appealing. Still isn’t.

But git ya’ some shrimp and grits for sure, especially if you live along the Gulf where shrimp are currently plentiful and presumably not contaminated. 

Quite a few restaurants here offer this rustic and delicious dish, and I enjoy what they deliver to the table, but I also like making it at home. I pick up fresh shrimp at Goat Feathers on 30A and crack open my Ina Garten cookbook and get to work. Why would I use a recipe from a cook from the Hamptons and not one from Emeril Lagasse (a local, turns out) or Chef Paul Prudomme, you wonder? Because I want to, and because there is no one recipe that is considered standard.

I have many cookbooks on the shelf from all of the above chefs (Ina is technically a cook and not a chef, but you know), but for right now, let’s go with Ina. It’s something like this, and it’s delicious—serves 4:

Ingredients:

  • 6 T unsalted butter, divided
  • 1 cup quick-cooking grits
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • Kosher Salt
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 ½ lbs fresh large shrimp (remove shells and save for the sauce)
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 2 slices thick bacon, chopped
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 T all-purpose flour
  • 1 T fresh lemon juice
  • ½ tsp Sriracha
  • 4 scallion, thinly slices for garnish

Grits:

  1. Melt 1 T of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add grits and toast for 3 minutes, stirring
  3. Add 2 cups of milk & two cups of water, 1 tsp of salt and bring to a boil.
  4. Lower heat to a simmer and cover and cook for 25 minutes (stir occasionally).
  5. Add 1 T of butter. 1 tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper.

Shrimp:

  1. In a large sauté pan with lid, heat over medium heat and add 1 T butter.
  2. Add the shrimp shells and cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Add the tomato paste and stir, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add two cups of water and bring to a boil.
  5. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
  6. Drain liquid in a measuring cup and discard shells. You should have 1 ½ cups of broth.
  7. Wipe out the pan and heat to medium heat
  8. Add bacon and cook till crispy (5 minutes)
  9. Stir in shrimp, garlic, 1 tsp of salt and ½ of pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
  10. Melt 1 T butter in the pan, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
  11. Add stock and bring to a boil while whisking to a smooth consistency.
  12. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes or until thickened into a sauce.
  13. When thicken, add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
  14. Stir in lemon juice, Sriracha and 1 T butter.
  15. Serve shrimp and sauce over grits and garnish with scallions.
I confess I skip steps 1-6 and use purchased broth, chicken or seafood, and I whisk in tomato paste with the shrimp, garlic, etc. It’s delicious this way as well, and I have had several people request the recipe. I will also whisk in a hefty mixture of dry seasonings a la Emeril, which I always have mixed and ready in the pantry. It is as follows—mix and store in an air-tight container, or store in an empty spice bottle with a shaker cap:

2 1/2 T paprika
2 T salt
2 T garlic powder
1 T black pepper
1 T onion powder
1 T cayenne pepper
1 T dried organs
1 T dried thyme


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All In the Details

My daughter Eustacia is pretty handy with a camera and takes pictures of things at angles I wouldn't think of. I have been using the oldest camera in the house, the one no one else wants, and I have been thinking about getting a new one just for me—nothing too fancy or too big—just a nice, digital camera with a functioning zoom option. Until then, here is a closeup of one of my daughter's photos. Have any idea what it is cropped from? Click on the photo for the full shot.

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.

First Chapters Update

Moving this up to the top so no one forgets!! Okey dokey. My first chapter has been posted in the contest. I have 23 votes at the moment, but I want more, please. During the first round, the chapters are posted for 14 days and then pulled to make room for the 50 gazillion people entering this contest. So, if you choose to vote...