Skip to main content

The Weather Is Anybody's Guess

One of the main reasons people move to Florida is the weather. People are tired of winters, or maybe they never liked winters to begin with. They want more sunshine than northern skies provide, and they want to walk on the beach without wearing a coat and scarf. Well, welcome, but don’t be fooled by the palm trees—January can be chilly.

I get the attraction, although I only ever tired of winter when it dragged on past March. Otherwise, I appreciate the change of seasons. Yet, here I am living full-time in the Florida Panhandle.

I have noticed on some social media pages mostly aimed at vacationers that people from other places will ask about the weather as they plan their visit here. First, let me say that in this grand time of the 21st century, if you can afford to come here for vacation, you probably have the same access to the Internet that those of us living here have. 

Snark aside, predicting the weather here is tricky. I was warned about that before we moved here, but I didn't believe it until I experienced it. To begin with, don't bother checking the ten-day forecast because it's irrelevant. It's irrelevant anywhere but especially here. 

Also, don't put much stock in the forecast for tomorrow, whatever day that might be, because the Gulf winds are going to change it. If the forecast calls for rain in the morning, you might get some rain. You might get a downpour. You might also get sunshine and clear skies without a drop.

If the forecast calls for a sunny afternoon, and you're spending your morning with that weather in mind, it might happen for you. It might also happen that a storm will move in and flood the back yard in 30 minutes flat. What I have found to be true lately is a forecast calling for storms that keep moving around on the radar and then dissipate before they can actually cause trouble.

Hurricanes are another story, and I won't address that here. It's a science combined with some guessing, and I'll leave that to the experts. But for day-to-day weather, you just have to keep checking, look up in the sky, pay attention to thunder you might hear unexpectedly in the distance, and plan generally on being surprised.

This is a screenshot of an actual storm that was threatening the area for days. I did not play with the shape of it in anyway—it's simply Mother Nature having a joke on us, as she often does, acting as if even she doesn't know what's going to happen at any given moment.

Have I mentioned humidity? That's assumed, I suppose. There are people who love humidity like it's a comforting blanket. I have no use for those people.

#30A #EmeralCoast #FloridaPanhandle #Floridaweather

Comments

dive said…
Well spotted, Robyn! That storm is a very apt shape. This may be why so many English folk take trips to Florida; we're used to weather that changes every time you turn around.

Popular posts from this blog

All In the Details

My daughter Eustacia is pretty handy with a camera and takes pictures of things at angles I wouldn't think of. I have been using the oldest camera in the house, the one no one else wants, and I have been thinking about getting a new one just for me—nothing too fancy or too big—just a nice, digital camera with a functioning zoom option. Until then, here is a closeup of one of my daughter's photos. Have any idea what it is cropped from? Click on the photo for the full shot.

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.

First Chapters Update

Moving this up to the top so no one forgets!! Okey dokey. My first chapter has been posted in the contest. I have 23 votes at the moment, but I want more, please. During the first round, the chapters are posted for 14 days and then pulled to make room for the 50 gazillion people entering this contest. So, if you choose to vote...