Skip to main content

Too Fat For My French Horn


Note: Photo added after Dive's comment. This is GF Handel's monument at Westminster Abbey.

I used this phrase yesterday, “Too fat for my French horn,” and it made me laugh out loud. I know it’s rude to laugh at your own jokes, but I was surprised when the words came out as if someone else had typed them, and I couldn’t help my reaction.

I was thinking about how physically sluggish I have become and how I probably need a little exercise. Plus, I have noticed that when playing my French horn, I need to take breaths more often than I used to. My lung capacity doesn’t seem to be what it once was, so I suggested I might be too fat for my French horn. See, even repeating it here makes me giggle. I like the alliteration, and I think the phrase is almost poetic.

So, in the interest of poetry:

I am too fat for my French horn,
too burdened on the lungs
to inhale and exhale enough.
I breathe just enough
but want more, to breathe more.
I am too fat for the swings at the park
where I whirled with my girls
when they were younger.
I am too fat for my wedding dress
I wore when I was younger, too.
There were jeans I slid on day after day
but I am too fat for my old jeans.
They hung in my closet until dust caked the fold
and I gave them away,
bagged them with size eights
and tossed them straight in the bin.
I don’t ride the swings or wear the dress,
and the jeans went away with good will.
And I shrug.
I sit tight with my French horn
and breathe and breathe just enough.
I am too fat for my French horn,
and I want more, to breathe more.

Comments

dive said…
Wonderful poem, Robyn!

However, no WAY are you fat! And especially not too fat for your horn. Do you remember seeing the statue of Handel sitting with his horn on his lap in Westminster Abbey? He was far more rotund than you'll ever be. I've seen photos of the Greco band and you are sylph-like in comparison to some of the players there.

Plus, folk our age should not be seen on playground swings or wearing tight-fitting clothes. That's just creepy.

Enjoy the natural spread of your middle years. Revel in your prime. Sashay down the street in your comfortable, baggy clothes and feel great about it. And blow that horn with joy!
Scout said…
Dive, you are misremembering the composition of the statue. But I'm glad you like the poem.
savannah said…
some days i feel like norma desmond in sunset boulevard, sugar! ;~D love the poem, by the by! xoxoxox
dive said…
I am at that age where misremembering is more common than remembering, Robyn.
That photographer must have been up on top of some scaffolding. Handel is way up that wall. We had to crane out necks to see him (though I could be misremembering).
Robyn Martins said…
Savannah, do you have a dead chimp in your boudoir?
PF said…
I love your post and your poem! I just had the unfortunate experience of having to buy new capris because some of the ones currently in my closet don't fit. I am too fat for my capris! Grrr.
PF said…
I love Dive's comment too..."Enjoy the natural spread of your middle years". You rock, Dive!!
Shan said…
Hahaha! I like the alliteration too and understand the exaggeration as well! When you are fatter than you were at one point-you just feel TOO FAT for things.
That was a nice poem though. Of course Dive's commentary was enjoyable as well. :D Ahh, aging. The discomforts and joys of it all.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...