Skip to main content

Bread Like Broken Glass

Have you ever cut your finger on a piece of bread? I have. Here's how—

I have a friend who bakes bread, wonderful looking loaves of fresh, natural goodness. I won't mention her name because she pops in here now and then, and I'm a little ashamed of myself. As it is, she's bound to figure this out. Anyway, she has a recipe for bread that I have tried using several times, and each time the stuff comes out of the oven looking like crusty pancakes, so I gave up months ago. Well, she published this same recipe recently, and I decided to give it another shot.

I followed the recipe down to the letter, careful with the measurements and the rising and the timing and the storage just as she instructed. Yesterday, I put two hunks of dough on a baking sheet, let them rest, just as she said, and put the pan in the oven as directed. Then I got busy writing a newspaper article about this wonderful couple who is about to celebrate their 70th anniversary—really, they seem happy. During the whole interview, they sat cuddled next to each other on a couch in the nursing home and held hands. The man doesn't even need to live there, but he refused to move his wife in and have her live separate from him, so he moved in, too. Now, that's devotion.

Anyway, I was working away and forgot to check the loaves before the timer went off, and when I finally ran into the kitchen shouting, "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap," and sliding across the tile in my cozy socks, I had baked a mess. This time, I didn't make crusty pancakes. I made chunks of cement, blocks of brick, shards of glass. I say shards of glass because as I was scraping the stuff into the sink, the very sharp edge of one flattened loaf sliced into my left index finger, leaving a gash at least half an inch long and jagged like the bread was ringed with broken bottles. In Brazil, people protect themselves by surrounding their yard with a high wall, and the top of the wall is spiked with pieces of broken glass stuck straight up for maximum damage should an intruder try to scale the wall. That was what this bread was like. Imagine eating it.

My poor throbbing finger bled and bled, and I had to wrap it in a tissue because all the band aids in the kitchen cabinet are huge, the kind you'd wrap a knee in.

So, two things: One, I give up on the bread baking, at least using this recipe that has yet to give me edible bread. Two, I can now say I have cut myself on a piece of bread. I'm guessing it's an elite group of people who can make that claim.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
We are going to have to have a bread making workshop, Robyn.
savannah said…
it's a sign, sugar! only use recipes from our pal, ina! xoxoxox
dive said…
You could turn this to your advantage, Robyn; the CIA have been trying for years to weaponize bread.

Hope the finger gets better soon.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...