Skip to main content

Music Is the Language of the Universe

This might be old news to some of you, but it's new to me. Prisoners in the Philippines, some of them convicted of very serious crimes, dance as part of a daily regimen of discipline and exercise, and the program has cut down on jail violence, drug use and a general feeling of hopelessness.

I stumbled on a video tribute to Michael Jackson at Salon, and I thought it was one of the most unusual things I'd ever seen. And I wondered if these prisoners were being forced to dance against their will.

But after doing a little digging, I have now learned the prisoners in the prison in Cebu, Philippines audition for this group, and they spend up to four hours a day in rehearsal. Their dancing troupe started out as an exercise class and turned into a dance class with a visiting choreographer, and now they have quite a repertoire. A NY Times article here explains it all.

A security consultant for the prison system, Byron Garcia, has uploaded their performances, which they give to audiences from the outside, to YouTube. Here is a short film that uses one of my favorite scenes from Shawshank Redemption to help explain why this program is so successful:



And now for the Michael Jackson tribute with 1,500 prisoners performing:

Comments

I love watching this tribute. :)
MmeBenaut said…
Robyn, this has to be one of the most extraordinary things I've ever seen. So many thoughts came to me while I watched: the conversion of the pimps, drug dealers, thieves, child molesters and murderers into a swaying, reverent and fluid "oneness". The incredible distance between the environment for prisoners in "Shawshank" and those on this clip. Makes me wonder whether this is what the world might look like if we all had female presidents. Thank you for finding this gem.
MmeBenaut said…
Oh, and the transvestites dressed in female uniform! And the influence of Islam even ...
Scout said…
Lynn, there are at least 36 different videos on youtube of these people.

Mme Benaut, I think those were actual female prisoners. There are other videos from the prison with closeups of women. And there are Christian songs, as well, with a mass conducted by a visiting priest. Very interesting stuff.
Shan said…
Wow. I can't believe I've never heard about this group before. Oh yeah, I didn't even know MJ had passed until I wondered why the radio was playing non-stop songs of his. The dj said " In case you've been living under a rock...." Apparently I had been because I yelled out "WHAT??!!!!" and scared my boys in the van. Baha

Thanks for showing this to us. I had a range of thoughts as well. One of them was "Should they be having fun in prison?" But then I thought that wasn't very nice. Very cool!
RoverHaus said…
I love this youtube clip. I love the music. I love the dance. But most of all, I love the creativity and thought in bringing music and dance to a bunch of guys who needed something beautiful in their lives...you know, the whole 'bloom where your planted' thing.

Does that make me weird?

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...