Skip to main content

I Humbly Accept

I think that when someone uses the word "humbly" about themselves, they don't sound very humble, but I am truly humbled by an award given to me by Savannah. It's the Noblesse Oblige award. One definition of "noblesse oblige" reads "One must act in a fashion that conforms with one's position, and with the reputation that one has earned." Jiminy.

Here are the qualifications:
1) The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervades amongst different cultures and beliefs.
2) The Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage and offers solutions.
3) There is a clear purpose at the Blog; one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Culture and Sciences and Beliefs.
4) The Blog is refreshing and creative.
5) The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking.

So, can you see why receiving this award might be humbling?

The Blogger who receives this award will need to perform the following steps:

1) Create a Post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
2) The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
3) Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older post to support.
4) The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
5) Blogger must display the Award at any location at the Blog.

Now, I have to choose five other people to receive this award. It's a difficult call, but here goes in alphabetical order:

1) Dive at Small Glass Planet. Yes, I know he's on hiatus at the moment, but Dive is a treasure. He is funny, startlingly intelligent, widely read, a brilliant writer and a devoted son to his lovely mother, Alifan.

2) Mrs. G at The Women's Colony. It wasn't too long ago when Mrs. G started her blog called Derfwad Manor, and she became an instant hit. She has since turned her fantasy of a women's colony into a full-blown blog full of honest essays about family, love, life's struggles and humor.

3) Mme Benaut. Madame's Occasional Blog is actually pretty regular, and she is generous in sharing her family, Australian fauna and menagerie of cats with the world. Even more than that, Mme Benaut has a wide-open heart and a fascinating life story that makes her a gem in blogville.

4) Rich at Beantown Caffe was my very first blogpal. We kept each other writing nearly three years ago when no one was listening to us, and we have remained loyal pals. Rich offers peaks into Boston life, wit and insight, not to mention he's fun to ridicule. Ask him about the high heels and hose he likes to wear when no one's looking.

5) Jason at Roverhaus. Jason isn't just a blogpal, he's a real-life pal. We used to work together before he defected and became his own boss. Now he writes about his beautiful family and all of the curves, the hidden drives and the falling rocks they encounter in life. His writing is beautiful prose, and his honesty is refreshing.

So, there are my picks. I don't expect everyone to be able to carry on with the award rules—I just want them to know I appreciate them. This isn't to say I don't appreciate everyone I have met in blogville, but I was only allowed to choose five.

Comments

savannah said…
this is why i knew in my heart of hearts, YOU truly deserved this award, sugar! xoxox
Shan said…
Congratulations! This is quite a complimentary award isn't it? I am happy to realize that I know all but one of these wonderful bloggers. This is quite a group indeed! :D
kyle@sift said…
I think anytime we are recognized by a fellow human for being decent is a good thing. You are, how shall I say, quite decent.
dive said…
Hi, Robyn!

Thank you for putting me forward for this lovely award, but I am afraid I am ineligible.
Not only am I no longer blogging (and not missing it a bit), but the award is for:

- "respecting the nuances that pervade amongst different cultures and beliefs"
which - rather than respect - I enjoy throwing into stark relief and making fun of;

- "promoting friendship and positive thinking"
which doesn't really sit well with the amount of stand-up fights and swear-fests I have encountered in my comments box over the years.

You, on the other hand, are a thoroughly deserving recipient.

Toodle pip!
Your old neighbour from England, no longer residing in Blogville.
MmeBenaut said…
My oh My! Congratulations Robyn on receiving the award and to Savannah for awarding it. How lovely!

Oh that Dive, he is on extended vacation, isn't he? He is right, you are thoroughly deserving!

As for me, I'm absolutely delighted and once I work out how to do it (instructions gladly invited) I'll put it on my blog. I've been struggling with two sick cats but I'm getting ahead now, slowly ...
Ah, I don't wear those heels any more, Robyn they were killing my feet.

Sorry for the slow respone to this but I was busy with prom things at the end of the week and catching up with all the mothers in my life for mothers day today.

Thanks for the mention!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.