Skip to main content

Happy Veterans Day

Yes, I realize I'm several days late with that statement. Tuesday was actually my mother's 83rd birthday, so I was more interested in making sure I honored that than I was with making a fuss over the veterans.

I was one of those kids with older parents, parents who were almost as old as my classmates's grandparents. In social studies, the teacher would say something like, "raise your hand if your grandfather was a soldier in WW2," and I would say, "No, but my father was."

My father was 21 when the US entered the war, and he remained overseas for over three years. After going from Scotland through Europe and down through Africa and collecting a lifetime of experiences on the way, his division ended up in Tunis. The military conducted a lottery to determine which soldiers would be sent home, and my father won.

He told us stories when we were growing up, but it wasn't until I had an interview assignment for a writing class that he sat down with me at length and answered specific questions. Something that really struck me was his view of General Patton. All I knew of Patton was what little I learned in school and what George C. Scott told me in the movie. From my father's perspective, the man was a pig.

When the 1st Armored Division was in Northwest Africa, my father's unit was driving tanks through the desert with Patton in command. There were German fighter planes overhead, and in the skirmish, the track fell off my father's tank. The rest of the tanks kept moving, and my father and the other man or two in the tank were trapped. Patton left them, and in my father's mind, abandoned them to be blown up by the Germans. They managed to get the tank back on track and caught up with their unit, but things were never the same after that.

When the Americans made it to safety, stories came out that some of the tank guns had been aimed at the Germans, but some of them were actually aimed at Patton. Patton gave a very heated speech and said he knows his own men tried to kill him, but he survived, and they'd never get him. He was transferred not long after that.

I knew to take some of my father's stories with a grain of salt, but it was fascinating just the same. With this in mind, here is today's article in Small Town Paper.

Comments

dive said…
Oh, Robyn, what a brillinat story!
Your father was a genuine hero. It's great to hear a real soldier's opinion of the generals. Hee hee.
More about your dad's wartime exploits, please!
Patton was known for being tough on his men. He did make a lot of enamies within. I don't know but maybe it was that kind of toughness that help win the war?

Here's to your dad!!
Gina said…
Happy belated birthday to your mom!

And yes, that story was awesome to hear. For some reason, stories of the military and war are interesting to me, probably because they are so far removed from my own existence.
Well done, Robyn, a great story. Goodness everyone's birthday; Dive, your Mum...Prince Charles.... Oh I hear Dive groan, he will groan louder if he comes over to mine. lol
Alifan said…
Great tale as usual Robyn happy belated birthday to Mum xxx
Shan said…
I enjoyed this post about your dad Robyn! I like the picture and can totally see the resemblance which is always fun. Yeah for heroes indeed! How blessed you were to get him back from the war. It must be hard with such an age difference from your parents at this time in your life. xo

Happy late birthday to Scout's mom too!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...