Skip to main content

Brahms is a Blanket

It's been nearly a week since I played the Brahms symphony with the orchestra, but there are strains that are still floating in my head. I'll have to learn new music so I can start humming something else, only I don't want to hum something else.

At my lesson on Monday, my horn teacher said he'd heard Brahms horn parts described as being like a warm blanket. That's exactly what they are, not just to listen to but to play. You float on the higher notes and slide down into the lower notes and wrap up with the mellow notes in between.

It's like when you settle in at the end of the day. The doors are locked, and your coat is hanging in the closet because you don't have to go out again until morning. You're comfortable on the couch or in your favorite chair. You aren't hungry or thirsty. You aren't too cold or too hot. Nothing hurts, and nothing itches. You've got a hot mug of coffee or a full glass of wine, whichever you prefer. You put your feet up because you're about to watch a movie that makes you happy every time you see it—for me, that's something like Oklahoma or Rear Window or Guys and Dolls. You can look forward to the next few hours without interruption and without worry and without having to do anything but inhale, exhale and enjoy. Want some popcorn? It's handy. Think a little ice cream would hit the spot? Here's a dish of mint chocolate chip. Wish you had a blanket to make the scene absolutely gratifying? Then have a Brahms horn part and wrap up in it. This one is plush and breathable and in your favorite color.

Am I overstating the sensation playing Brahms can inspire? Probably, but what's the harm in conjuring a metaphor of ultimate contentment? Brahms' horn parts are good, so good in fact, that happiness and comfort and satisfaction come to mind when you hum them days after playing them.

What experiences have you had that gave you the sensation of being wrapped in a blanket and stayed with you long afterwards?

Comments

dive said…
What a beautiful post, Robyn.
I know exactly what you mean.
With me it is Bach. I've spent the morning with his St.Matthew Passion; yesterday it was Goldberg Variations.
Autumn is a good time for wrapping yourself up in a blanket of comfort food and warm, reassuring music.
Wow what a great description, Robyn. I was starting to feel all warm and fuzzy for a moment there.

For me the feeling of being all wrpped up in a blanket usually comes after I make love.
Mark said…
Billie Holiday just melts my heart. And a glass of brandy warms my soul.
Alifan said…
I must say several pieces of music does that to me, but have to say listening to Dive playing moody blues guitar is rather special to me....
savannah said…
that warmed me just reading it, sugar! have a warm weekend! xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.